Saturday 13 January 2018

Transformation - "In Name Only?"

"That which we call a rose... By any other name would smell as sweet." "Tis but thy name that is my enemy." "Thou art thyself, though not a Montague."

Various lines written by William Shakespeare that Romeo spoke to Juliet. Words that convey Shakespeare's belief that a name means very little; it is the individual that defines themselves.

I ponder the implications as I have now, during my time on the planet, been tagged with three different surnames. I was born "Robert Draper" - was placed for adoption where I was then given the name "Robert John Mason..." and I just recently completed all the necessary paper work, to legally have my name changed, to Robert John O'Neill.

Does it make any difference? I certainly have considered that for myself, from many different vantage points over the years. I've often felt the transition from birth name to adopted family name was rather arbitrary. I mean, I could have gone to any family where I would have assumed then, their name. So unless there was some soul aligned agreement, that I would go to this family in particular - the name itself might otherwise have been, rather random. Spending most of my life without any idea of my ancestral origins, I never really felt much of any affiliation with Canada, beyond,, it's where I was born..

It's not that easy to articulate the connection I have become more acquainted with since learning of my Irish ancestry and some of the history of the "O'Neill" clan. By that I mean, it's not that it's emotionally overwhelming, or that I lack the vocabulary; it's that it would be challenging to be succinct. Brevity is not my strong suit anyway, but on the theme of my heritage, I could go on forever.

Even without being steeped in it ... there is a familiarity and soul knowing for me throughout Ireland, but powerfully and significantly, in the North..

While there are many aspects of soul-evolution that are not reliant on external labels of any ilk. To be able to claim my name has been, continues to be, and I suspect will always remain, very empowering.

The previous "identify" was in my estimation, a kin to one nation attempting to "assimilate" another. It was super-imposed, literally, imposed upon me. It's like spiritual/soul colonization.

In my book, "What Goes Around Comes Around" there are some 800 questions .. that could be utilized to determine what one has believed, where those beliefs came from, whether they still hold them as true and if not, what do they now believe. I can assure you, I have subject myself extensively, to this line of questioning, through innumerable different processes.

So this "name change" I do not treat lightly! It is no whim, it is no, the grass is always greener scenario (though admittedly the grass is pretty green in Ireland!!) Nobody but me, knows what I have gone through in my life, to arrive at this place and this decision. And no one, but NO ONE , will ever deny me my name, my voice and my connection. The name whether of itself or not, represents my choice in "who I am," what I believe & how I show up in the world.

I sat in the cue to have my papers processed and when I considered that sooner than later ... there will no longer be a "Robert Mason.." tears welled up in my eyes - for the love of God, do you realize what that guy went through in order for Robert O'Neill to live on?!!! I am deeply present, to my long line of ancestors that have, and continue to support, this journey and I am profoundly grateful..

The absolute best of Robert Mason will be carried forward and live on through Robert O'Neill .. the rest will be released and/or transformed. I have the legacy of my clan behind me and to live up to. To walk a good road, will be both a suitable epitaph for Robert Mason, and that due, Robert O'Neill.

God if it be your will long may he live to serve!!

2 comments:

  1. I deeply hear you and feel this on so many levels and really you have put into words what I felt, have felt, and feel even now about the transitional process of my changing my name legally and otherwise as well. I honour your path as it is also my own in so many ways. Beyond words, much much more than I can ever say or write, I thank thee. Deeply and dearly, thank thee ~Lady Nenari, Princess of the Sea

    ReplyDelete