Monday 11 September 2017

Will a New Day Dawn?


Has the day dawned
Whereby reckoning 
Can be commenced
That within 
The shadows 
 Hidden in the love deprived 
Recesses of my psyche
Reside 
Judge, Jury & Executioner 

What seed of 
Shame, errant belief or misguided doctrine
Have I created or taken on
That would unconsciously
Have me behave in the world
In such a way  
That I attract or am attracted to
Or create, situations
That lead to "punishment"

What will it take
To wear the skin
Of a man
For whom 
Clemency has been granted
Can I make a simple decision 
To transform the inner drum beat
From self
Retribution, persecution and sabotage
To that of self forgiveness?

Might a thinly veiled 
Veneer of guilt
Be unravelled 
And dissolved within
Reserves of inadequacy
Darkness of self-hatred
Fears and phobias
Labels and spells

Or will I walk myself
Down that last mile
Again & again
Each step shrouded
In the bleak grey 
Clouds of resignation
A victim of my own hand
Which brings down the gavel
Delivers both verdict and sentence
Then weaves the rope
Readies the gallows 
Standing then 
At the ready
To through the lever
Which will 
Forever silence my voice
and 
Choke the life 
From my truth

R. O'Neill  (September  11, 2017







No comments:

Post a Comment