Wednesday 16 August 2017

Harnessed Rage


You're angry you say..
Or 
You say: I'm not angry!
Let me assure you,
You. are. angry...

Who am I to say?
Well.
I'm the one, 
On the receiving end,
Of your barbed remarks.
Sarcasm.
And
 Back-handed compliments!!

I see you.
Pissing on the world.
With your subverted rage.
And I was wondering,
Are you going 
To do anything  
Constructive 
With it?

Or just continue
To poison yourself?

What am I doing?
At the moment...
I'm provoking you

Don't I run the risk
of 
Your contempt?

Absolutely...
If it spurs 
You into inspired action
Then 
It will have served
A higher purpose.

I stand to benefit.
Along with,
The rest of Humanity.
Once you, 
Direct, 
The fires of that rage,
Toward 
Bringing about 
The change 
You so passionately
Believe the world needs.

That you see it,
Is a clue, 
To your destiny.
Unless you 
Would prefer 
To just be ,
Angry.

Waiting 
For others to agree,
Unnecessary.
Your concern,
Invites your solution.

Yes. 
I can take a joke. 
But you are not joking, 
Nor 
Being funny.

I am not:

Diminishing.
Devaluing.
Denying. 
Dissing.

Your feelings.
In particular.

 Anger.

But own it!

Tell me 
What incites this rage?
What else do you feel?
What needs of yours
Are going unmet?
How long,
Have you felt this way?

What are you prepared
To do about that?
Or will you 
Continue to blame
A "corrupt"
Violent world?
"Men" are so this..
"Women" are so that..

Tell me for how long
Have you held 
Those views?
And
What has holding them
Done to bring about
Any change?

If you want 
To explore 
What is going on 
Within you.
Bring it.
All of it.
Let's leave 
No stone unturned.
and
Whip those fires
To a frenzy.

There is though
A time sensitive
Allowance
For 
Disembodied rage
And
Futile projections.

I would respect
And step back 
In love
Honouring your choice.

It would serve 
Neither of us.
For me to be 
Your toxic dump
Nor 
For me to support 
Your responsibility by-pass.

Yes you are quite right
My words 
Are my mirror
They apply equally to me
I write
I do need to 
Be right
And 
I am aware
of 
The value 
of 
Keeping my righteousness
In check


To be sure 
That rage..
That fire within..
Is a formidable force
Use it 
Direct it 
Benefit from it
Or 
Be consumed by it...


R. O'Neill (August 16, 2017)






No comments:

Post a Comment