Friday 18 August 2017

A Time for Sensitivity


"Oh you're just being over-sensitive"
Yester-Year
A frequent indictment
Lacking a conviction 
Of my own
I believed it

Great lengths 
And vast amounts of energy
Were directed
At repressing 
And
Ultimately led
To ongoing attempts
To destroy 
Sensitivity 

To hear those words uttered
Some part of me
Wants to 
"Tear you a new one.."
But I don't 
You know why?

Because 
Of that same
Maligned sensitivity
I have a reverence
For life
Even for those 
That are unable 
or 
Unwilling 
To acknowledge
Sensitivity 
Within themselves

Without it 
I couldn't recognize 
or 
Articulate
The composite 
Layers of cloud cover
 Of a sky 
in transformation 

Nor could I 
Breath in the colour
Of the sunset
And then paint
With words
The divine impact
Impressed upon
my heart
And echoing 
Through every cell 

I could not see
The light 
in your children's eyes
I would not feel your embarrassment
Or anticipate 
What you will 
Need 
To contribute to 
A moment of ease

I wouldn't feel
Grief at the loss
Of your life
Or of those you love
I would have no idea
What you mean
Were you to tell me
You're hurting..

I wouldn't see
Rainbows on Spider's web
Or leaves pirouetting
With the song 
of 
Autumn's wind

I would hear
The wisdom teachings
In the Oak groves
Feel the rhythm 
Of field of dancing sunflowers
Or harmonize
With the flow
of the tides

Though once a time
Where I renounced
Space for my own 
"Sensitivity"
Pre-existed 
And never was
"New age Man"
Lamenting 
The World is not ready

Truth was
I was not 
Able or willing 
To be 
Embrace myself

I no longer
Ask anyone's permission
To be
Who I am
You need not
Love or approve
of me
Your disapproval
However 
Is 
None of my
Business.


R. O'Neill (August 18, 2017)


No comments:

Post a Comment