Thursday 12 January 2017

Didn't See That Coming (which perhaps let me see)

In a clear case of: "things are not what they seem" - I was stopped on the streets of Derry (Northern Ireland) by a gentleman that to me, appeared to be dressed in the nomadic attire of somewhere decidedly, not here. Especially given that the region was currently experiencing intermittent snow. I am seeking to expand myself and acquire a more "worldly" repartee, however, my travels have not specifically included places that would help me pinpoint where he might have hailed from.

The man was in robes (of sorts) his head adorned in something looser than a turban - but that conjured for me some imagery of the "east." Of course maybe I've been influenced by all the Nativity scenes I've seen over the past while. And of course, let us not forget, what the Sam Hill do I know about the east? I don't even know who "Sam Hill" is!

He stops me with the address, "Excuse me sir." The rest of his commentary completely escapes me. Let's bare in mind, I'm traveling - and seem to be maintaining some variety of an altered state (no I'm not drunk). I'm also hopefully, out the other side of a respiratory ailment that has added an additional need to exercise many a double take..

I have begun many an interaction - only to discover, the other party is patiently awaiting my reply and I haven't a clue, what they just said. It's not inattentiveness - I'm listening, it's just that though the language is familiar the inflection and phrases are such - that something just short-circuits and I'm left  standing like the proverbial deer in the headlights... I actually feel myself about to respond and suddenly the realization jumps to the fore - I can't! So I suppose, I am exercising the "better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt.... maxim.

So somewhere in my "language center" (which is clearly missing the most recent downloads) I determine he is asking me for directions...

I'm thinking, the joke's on you my friend, you're speaking to the guy who might just be innately capable of taking the words of the hotel restaurant hostess and serving them to her for dinner....

"You can't get lost in Derry" she insists. Clearly she underestimates my unique gifts and talents!

I begin to tell him, I'm not from here, only arrived yesterday (truly it remains to be seen, if I ever see my hotel again!)

"No, No, No sir - you don't understand" - Now there's the supreme understatement for 2017 already proclaimed!

Turns out he, has stopped to give me direction....

After a couple more runs at it, he gets through to me....

Do you know, the Bhagavad Gita?

Though I've likely already diminished any further credibility on my part... just so ya know, he spoke with a very thick East Indian accent...

What can I say? Well, yes I know the book by that title exists... but I can't say I'm familiar with its contents.

Boom... Instant manifestation, there's now a copy in my hand!

As he expands for me the illusion of the mind - he deftly flips through "my Gita" and points out supporting scripture? - could have been a menu for the bistro down the way - I wouldn't have been able to discern in that moment.

I'm enjoying his enthusiasm; all the while a little baffled by the continuing puzzle: "how is it that wherever I go, seemingly now, more literally than ever, do these sidewalk prophets find me - like moths to a flame?"

It's not alarming, I can't even discount that - it's all part of some curriculum, I may stand to benefit from. It's just that it happens, a lot!

I do sometimes wonder, do I give off some kind of "Jesus" (or in this case "Krishna") - if ever there was someone needing saving, get a load of this guy - Vibe?

I've now got my ow personal copies of the Bhagavad Gita, "Chant to Be Happy" - the power of mantra meditation and "The Perfection of Yoga."

My friend had a wee handcart with a whole library on board.

Perhaps he thought as I was going downhill (let's confine that to the topography of the street I was heading down when we met) and he was traveling up - I'm the logical choice to shoulder a few extra books?!!

Though this wasn't the sum total of experiences on my first day of exploration around Derry - it did leap considerably outside any "expected experience;" even though, I would have said previously, I came here, without preconceived expectations!

No comments:

Post a Comment