Thursday 8 December 2016

Plan(us) Interrupt(us)

Well, I've made my list and checked it twice..... Pardon my attempt to be "seasonally" attuned. Of course the statement would only be true if the "season" in question was specifically, Christmas and had I made any sort of list.  So, given the overall appearance round about the 'hood if nothing else, the retail world is set to embrace "Christmas;" despite the number of people, that don't necessary celebrate that particular event.

My list (had I made one) would have been in preparation for my pending travel, which is now two days from the launch pad. I certainly have been doing things to get ready. Some of it has been to do with the trip specifically, some has simply been; what's in front of me to do (which I would be doing whether I was going away or not). I was inspired by a friend before she went away, to travel with only carry-on baggage. I don't even know if she actually did that or not. Nevertheless, I decided I was going to. This entailed getting a bag that meets "carry-on" criteria. After I first made the decision and began considering what I would need for six weeks away - I felt a little anxiety arising. I wasn't about to let that "steer the ship;" so I just set out to see what I have, that is suitable for winter and space efficient. I already had various articles of "outdoor" clothing, so then it was just a matter of acquiring anything necessary to augment. Everything I've purchased "for the trip" I most certainly will continue to get regular use of; both for future trips and day to day use at home.

In affect I have just done what has occurred to me to do, when it has occurred to me to do it. This is largely how I see the trip going. I started looking at various places that had some sort of ancestral link. This proved to be fruitless, as I don't retain that sort of information. I haven't entirely eliminated thoughts about the future or the past; but to a very large extent, I live moment to moment. I hope to more fully embrace that while I'm travelling and see where I wind up. I've made a couple of hotel bookings for places I need to "over-night" before flying again - it made sense, to take advantage of lower cost options by "booking early." I also reasoned in those scenarios, I don't necessarily want to be scrambling to find something - nor have my feet held to the fire for higher costs, because the staff at the hotel will know, that is the case.

I tried to look at the various transportation links in some of these airport scenarios - it's pointless, I'm not going to remember the details come the time I need them (though perhaps some names might sound "familiar.") The last time I travelled in Europe, I didn't know anything about coming and going from the various places I visited. I didn't know I was going to visit them - until the night before in some cases. Everything I needed to know always presented (in some way, shape or form) to me when I needed it. I am trusting this trip will be the same. There is some part of me that wants to "organize" - then as I said, I start to read the "directions" and it just freaks me out. Walking myself through something is always so much easier than trying to assimilate the written instructions. Rather ironic given I'm a writer. On that note, I suppose I further trust, that if suddenly people on mass, were to renounce the written word, I would evolve in my ways of expression. Perhaps that will happen naturally anyway - I'm sure there exists, that which wishes to express through me, that might prefer a different medium - it just happens at this point in time, I haven't much developed that capacity.

Other preparatory "task" were the renewing and subsequent transferring of my mortgage to a different financial organization and submitting the draft of my book to a professional for "beta-reading."  Though my mortgage has nothing to do with my travel; having it addressed, gives me the freedom to be more present while I'm traveling. As much as possible, if my home front affairs, are just running quietly "behind the scenes," then there will be minimal need for me to administer them while away. The forwarding of my book project, represents my wish to have my trip be a continuance and expansion of my life - not a complete interruption. So, the manuscript was submitted - I've received it back with suggestions for refinement and now I am re-working it to prepare it to be edited.  I will be able to continue this work while away - though I don't intend to be holed up somewhere the entire time writing. I will continue to move it forward though.

Further preparation involved cleaning a couple bags full of non-perishable foods out of my cupboards for the collection hampers at one of the places I work. The food is being collected for an organization called the Mustard Seed (one of the local "food banks"). A couple of years ago I utilized these services while I was in the process of a life-reorganization. I am grateful the service was available and I know; all times of year they are challenged to keep their shelves stocked - so now I'm in a position to give back.  Similarly, I had a medium size "day-pack" that I was able to stuff full of various articles of winter clothes that I no longer, or rarely, wear. I took the whole thing down to the street shelter. One might ask, was it necessary to add this sort of activity to the mix; of that necessary to "plan," a get-a-way? Well, I could have waited until I returned to clean out my closets, however the folks that need that clothing, need it now! It would make absolutely no sense to me whatsoever, to be away for six weeks through what could potentially be the coldest part of the season in this region and all this surplus clothing is hanging in my closets; inaccessible and useless, to anyone.

I will even get a couple of "seasonal" gatherings under my belt before I go. As such I will have my cake and eat it too.

Even doing these various and a sundry tasks, here I sit, with the time and leisure to write about having time and leisure; with still two full days to go for any "last minute" preparations. My life is rich in oh so many ways, I am grateful to be able to enjoy the moments. Perhaps there are useful times and places to utilize the adage: "failing to plan - is "planning to fail! " However, I happen to know first hand, that the glory of the present, can be completely and absolutely lost, when I'm too engrossed in "making plans.

"Perhaps I will never be highly sought as a "tour director" - I would be hard-pressed to present others with "the plan." Conversely, I can assure you I will be on an adventure the moment I leave my door!



No comments:

Post a Comment