Wednesday 7 September 2016

Retro-Jammin'

Today's blog post was inspired by receiving a email notification from a friend (thanks Tricia!) that gave an update on the next date for a prayer circle. The email contained a visual reminder of it now being "Mercury Retrograde" and offered a wide selection of actions one could undertake during this window of time. I know precious little about "Astrology" therefore even less regarding "Mercury Retrograde" (other than the common things people attribute to these celestial influences). I have no idea to what degree these planetary energies actually impact each person - particularly if like me, you spend no time thinking about it. I don't disregard astrology or the people that study and work with this paradigm, I just don't feel drawn to know it more comprehensively.

Anyway I thought it would be fun to weigh in and give my perspective/experience on the list of actions (which as it happens all begin with the letter "R" - after all, I'm clearly infinitely qualified to do so, as my name also begins with "R"ob). I will endeavour to be "brief" with each as I suspect that many (if not all of them) will overlap.

Review: A reminder that personal reflection can occur any time of year, not just something to be undertaken (or dismissed) come New Year's Eve. Of course the net can be cast broadly or more "localized." I liken it to something like a zoom lens, at the most broad field of view, one can look at their life as a whole. At the other end of the spectrum, "zooming in" they can get a more introspective/detailed view of one or a couple of areas, in particular.

Reflect: Seems a natural progression after reviewing. After I recall various events, circumstances, experiences, patterns etc. What is it that I can learn from each? What is my part? What are specifically, my lessons?

Release: What beliefs, feelings, mindsets are connected to what I discover within me? If they did serve me, do they continue to serve me? Am I willing to let them go? What is the cost of holding on to them? What would be possible with them gone?

Revise: If there was some goal or vision I had been working toward, has it been realized? If not why not? Does it still matter? If so, what needs to happen to get back on track? What was working/not working? Same approach/new time frame? New approach? Prioritize? What was being made more important that this goal didn't come about?

Revisit: To make a distinction, I will suggest with this one, that if "revision" has been undertaken, then, it could be useful to set a time at which point one could "revisit" the intention, and evaluate the efficacy of the "new approach." At this time a refreshing of the goal could happen; to breath new excitement, into the process.

Repent: As this idea so often carries with it an energy of "shaming," "remorse," "regret;" I'm going to take another tack. One could ask themselves (with regard to their goal or vision) how does it feel that they have given what they wanted, low priority? How would it feel to allow one's vision to be front and center in their attention and focus? If the vision was allowed to be derailed (various forms of "resistance") if for example there were found to be some form of self-sabotage at foot; rather than self-chastisement, some compassion and understanding could be undertaken and a commitment made newly (a "resolution" if you will) to self.

Redeem: The beautiful thing about examining where things fell short of the vision (even when the causative factors are my own) is that it begins to paint a picture, with more clarity of a more empowered approach and what that would look like for you.

Repair: Forgive - forgive - forgive (in particular and including self) having said that, I acknowledge forgiveness as being a process (certainly it is a "decision" as well - but it is up to the individual to determine when they are ready to make that decision and important that authentic expression of the myriad of other feelings not be by-passed; hastily trying to "achieve forgiveness.")

Rework: As I said there is apt to be overlap with these various "tools" which could result in "repetition" in an effort to avoid "redundancy" I will "refrain" from "re-hashing."

Remedy: A closer honest examination of the "problem"/challenge can frequently "reveal" it's inherent solution.

Recover: Consider that the "No Pain No Gain" crowd are misguided. So if you so choose, embrace for yourself some grace and ease. If you have been pushing to achieve something. Rest, relax, rejuvenate --------> resume. There is nothing to be gained from being the tyrant in your own life!

Reconnect: If my goals/life has been discovered to be in need of some "revision" then what better way to begin than to "reconnect." If scores of my "needs" are going unmet then me (as the principle custodian of said needs) has become "disconnected" somewhere along the line. No question a "reunion" (spoiler alert) will be very beneficial. What is important to me? What is true for me now? Who am I? What do I want?

Reframe: I would submit that anywhere in a "re-evaluation" process where one finds themselves "relentlessly" "redressing" themselves "ruefully;" it could be time for a new perspective, rather than self-defeating "re-runs."

Research: This has not always been my strong suit, however, there is something to be said for some "due diligence." It doesn't mean that one can't forge their own path; but while doing so, some foreknowledge of what you might encounter can be useful. It can also be helpful through "research" to gain clarity of what you don't want, which can then set you on a clearer path of what you do want.

Reunite: With apologies and a little "reworking" of Peaches and Herb's lyrics we get:

Reunited and it feels so good
Reunited 'cause we understood
There's one perfect fit
And, sugar, this one is it
You can be so excited 'cause you're reunited, hey, hey!!!

Well there, I have effectively completed half of the list; a remark that speaks to what was accomplished; not necessarily the quality of what was achieved.
I hope what presents resonates for some - I certainly don't claim to have penned the renaissance retrospective on retrograde.
Perhaps I will offer a "Part Deux" for the rest of the list (unless I don't). In the meantime as is always true; your own perspective is invaluable.
Until next time I will leave you with what may well be as sound as any other strategy for navigating the interplanetary dance - the words of Red Green: "Keep your stick on the ice."


No comments:

Post a Comment