Friday 16 September 2016

Inclusion - Colour Me Orange!

As I sit to write this I am in hot pursuit of an orange t-shirt. Perhaps oddly enough, I have never owned or wore an orange shirt in my entire life. Why then do I feel compelled to acquire and wear one now? Well, as it happens these shirt are being created and to be worn on September 30th to continue to raise awareness and forward the conversation, on "Residential Schools" and the impact that has had (and continues to have) on generations of First Nations people.

I sincerely hope when I say this is not strictly a "First Nations problem," it is not interpreted to diminish their ongoing need for healing, or the day to day challenges that predominate in so many lives. I'm saying that as a Canadian (who also happen to be "non-native," it behooves me to examine my own privilege as a "white male," in order to be part of the solution and ongoing healing.

I'm not sure I know how to articulate around this idea of "privilege," while at the same acknowledge, that those that have been advantaged by the same, can and still do have the need to heal what ever has been, the hand they were dealt in life. Perhaps the best way to address this is to view these matters as distinct entities, that in truth can't be compartmentalized entirely.

So then, I have been privileged - all the ways in which that has been the case are both known and unknown to me. I will come to recognize more of that which is unconscious, by being open to this discovery.

Where I'm going with this is that, (speaking for myself) I don't want to "deny my privilege" by retorting all the ways I have been emotionally/spiritually impacted during my life; but neither can I allow shame regarding this privilege, to become the reason to repress that which burdens my heart and soul. I submit that they are though, separate conversations. I mean I suppose one could lead to the other, however, in order to hold space for someone speaking of how privilege, discrimination, cultural genocide impacts them; it is absolutely disrespectful to deflect their pain with my story and/or become defensive.

I admit that no two conversations of this sort are apt to go the same way and it can be challenging to remain detached while someone shares how it is for them. This due to perceiving, that I personally am under attack (and frankly in some situations this is true). I guess the best I can do is know myself, know my limitations (at any given time) know what I can hear and know how, to look after myself along the way. That's a lot of knowing. I hope I live long enough to gain the tools and skill sets!

It boggles my mind that there is a need for "campaigns" that express "Every Child Matters!" Of course they do! You matter, I matter - everybody matters. Unfortunately or at least in truth, the world doesn't yet operate as though this is true. So therefore rather than sit here ranting - trying to tell you just exactly what is wrong with the world, my next affirmative action will be to don a bright orange t-shirt that states quite emphatically the view I am standing in. Where it goes from there - I don't know. As I said, I've never owned or worn an orange shirt (with or without statements of value) before. I feel called upon to do so now - so I will trust that any further directives will come to me when the time is right.

That children currently or have grown into adults, believing they don't matter I feel deep within my being. It 's not okay and "we" can and must do better!

Perhaps ironically I have come to know of my Irish Ancestry (on my biological father's side) somewhat late in my life. I'm supposing my ancestors may not embrace my wearing an "orange" shirt given what that symbolized in a part of the world that I am somehow linked to viscerally and energetically; without having been steeped in the culture. With all due respect to all the pain, anguish, suffering, bloodshed and devastation that my ancestors have endured; they will need to get over me and the orange shirt thing! (by all means take another 400 years if that what each needs for their process) I'm not telling anyone else what to think, believe or do. I also don't want any part in perpetuating the suffering.

However,  who I am, is standing in, "every child matters." I do not wish to water down this particular campaign by introducing additional unhealed global conflicts (except for me personally, I happen to believe the principle to be expansive and need be, in order to foster inclusiveness). So then, "First Nations' children matter, "white" children matter, "Catholic" children matter, "Protestant" children matter.

Inclusiveness and children matter, more than the forces that would suggest I align myself and wear the t-shirt of my alliance and renounce all the other shirts!

The bookstore called - my shirt is in!

No comments:

Post a Comment