Friday 12 August 2016

Body Talk

It would seem I've had further expanded opportunity to get more intimate with my body of late. Or to quote the oft heard (maybe to the point of trivializing) to "listen to your body." About three months ago (maybe more) I got an additional piercing in my ear. This one in particular hasn't followed the ideal healing and adaptation process; or said another way, it would appear, my body was rejecting it. I am only able to say this now; having incurred three visits to a physician's office (actually four) and three different courses of antibiotics (as the piercing site was subject to a reoccurring infection). I didn't have this issue with either of the previous two piercings. The final visit had the doctor taking a swab (mine from the previous visit was "negative") and recommending I remove the ring to allow the site to drain and heal.

For the remainder of the week I have been soaking my ear in epsom salts, using hydrogen peroxide and tea tree oil soap washes. The site "settled down" noticeable over-night, there was no further purulent discharge soon thereafter.  Two days later only the slightest little bit of serous drainage and today, the site has that periodic itchy feel of a "wound" healing.

I thought I would see about reinserting the ring; it would seem however, that the site has already healed over.  Today also happened to be my second tai chi session this week. Among other things the idea of "pushing through" versus allowing, was discussed. When I think of how this applies to my ear, obviously, I could likely push the ring through the newly healing tissue; to re-establish it once again, where it was removed from. Or I could go to the place I had it done and they might do the same, or re-pierce it (likely with an associated cost). But monetary consideration aside, what is the cost; what is to be gained, by forcing this "foreign object," back into my body?

I did not neglect the ear after the original piercing. I followed the care instructions and completed each of the prescribed antibiotics regimens - to no avail. It seems clear to me, I asked my body to take on this piece of adornment and the answer was NO!

I can see through this seemingly benign set of occurrences how my mind could be allowed to over-ride the physical message. "I paid for the ring and piercing, I paid for three different prescriptions of antibiotics...." I'm into this now, for probably over one hundred dollars and for what? If I were to allow the financial consideration to rule the day, I might succumb to the notion that if I don't carry on and successfully reinsert this thing - I'm "out" all that money (as well as time for clinic visits and minimal pain and discomfort).

Am I really out anything? I still have my ear - that's a damn good deal! Without over-dramatizing, let's say I kept insisting on assertion of my will-power (i.e. "I'm going to beat this thing") so I re-injure myself to break through the healed earlobe again (inviting the re-occurring infection - which can be come increasingly resistant to antibiotics due to repetitive use and then I've got a "super-bug."

I know from years of working in hospital settings, that people who wound up with necrotizing fasciitis  (flesh-eating disease) didn't necessary have a horrendous wound to begin with. I am neither fear-mongering, nor over-dramatizing, I'm just illustrating a point. There are bound to be any number of causative factors in those more extreme examples I've cited. Maybe there's more than meets the eye with regard to why this piercing wouldn't heal properly for me.

I choose to take the advisement of the situation as a message from my body. The rapid healing once the ring was removed seems to me to be telling. It's like the door closed - literally. Am I then going to force it back open? Not this time!

The other thing I have been "dealing with" over an extended period of time is, intermittently exceedingly painful feet. I'm no stranger to plantar fasciitis; and though I had been symptom free for a very long time, it returned with a vengeance this time; to difference areas of the feet. I've utilized multiple common interventions with varying degrees of relief. I have read references to pain in the body being "stuck energy." I noticed after my first tai chi session that the pain in the worst of the two feet was gone and "the knot" at it's source had considerably softened. This was in addition to just an overall increased sense of well being and energy. The clear message to me was - even though I don't "know" what is transpiring with regard to my body and this practice; I must allow myself to further experience what my body is clearly asking for.

I might add, that I am currently quite active; weights, cycling, walking (though the walking can be hampered by the feet situation) and even my work in the care facility is pretty physical.  Certainly the work in and of itself, is not adequate to maintain overall wellness. If anything a wellness practice is necessary in order for me to do the work. I am excited to further explore this conversation with my body as it points me in the direction of what it wants and needs as well as expressing quite adamantly,  what it doesn't need.

As is increasingly becoming my practice, I'm not suggesting that what my body needs is appropriate for any other body. I expect that others will honour and respect their body as they are guided.

At this stage of my life I am softening into a relationship of love and appreciation for my body. It has carried me through thick and thin for just shy of 57 years (birthday in a little over two weeks). I'm operating on the premise that I have many years to look forward to; while at the same time recognizing, that continued quality of life, cannot be obtained through the same neglect and unconsciousness, that have been the ear-mark, (pun intended) through much of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment