Friday 22 July 2016

Scene One - Take Two (this time let's see that you mean it!)

Yesterday I was waxing on the theme of cycling and made reference to the recollection, of those lazy hazy days of youth. Of course we didn't call it "cycling" then, we didn't call it anything! It was just a given, that if that in order to get from one adventure to another, it would involve our bicycles. Who knows how the simplest of activities have come to be tagged as though an Olympic sport.

Never having had children, I don't know how many kids these days, would be afforded the freedom to "see the world" on their trusty bike. We didn't lock them and we didn't wear technical aerodynamic body condom sports apparel. Our parents thought they knew where we were but - not so much. That was the beauty of the bike, you could cover a lot of territory, still be back at a pre-agreed dinner time (more or less) and nobody was any the wiser where you actually had been. We rode and rode and rode. There never was any thought given to how far and we certainly never stretched.

Now I have made a few concessions to my tongue in cheek appraisal of sports apparel; though not of the spandex variety. I do see the value in some of the quick dry types of material. That was the objective of my quest this afternoon after work. I set out on my bike to find a couple more t-shirt style  shirts that would be suitable for work. I was wearing an all cotton shirt today and due to the physical nature of this job in the care facility, that shirt is too warm and then, it doesn't "dry" quickly. I have a few of the variety with the wicking properties but needed some more. The steady flow of work I am blessed, with means more shirts going in the laundry.

The other thing about this "sports" wear, is that it can be really expensive. So the quest for me becomes, finding what I'm looking for; without a disproportionate concern for the label, and that ideally is a good buy (some might say "cheap"). I often do very well at Thrift shops for this sort of thing, but had just been through a few yesterday; on a different quest, so I had an idea of what they had.

I also know that the retail outlets that sell clothes operate on a calendar of their own. So, though we're barely at the halfway point of summer, they are starting to mark down summer apparel; to make room for the fall/winter line - that's my sweet spot! The perfect time to strike.

I had seen a large retailer called "Sports Traders" when I was cruising around yesterday. I saw posted over their doors "closing sale - up to 70% off." This was to be my first destination. Turned out it was a good idea, but it would have been better, sooner; they had not much left. Sad to see (and hear from one of the longer term employees) that I thirty some odd year old business, was going under. All was not lost - I got to connect and hang out with his dog for a while!

The next place I wanted to check out was just down the next block. I glided into the parking lot, not a care in the world and looked for a place to ride up the walkway to the bike stands. This is where another "memory" of bicycle stunts gone bad (another aspect of those days of yore, that takes the romanticism out of those lazy hazy days). There was a small curb to traverse. I have a "hybrid" bike that has the skinny road bike style wheels; as such, not the ideal design for jumping curbs etc. However I reasoned, such a small curb won't do my wheel any harm. (I hadn't even conceived any potential harm to me).

I slowed down some as I approached the curb with the idea I would lessen the impact of riding up and over. Best laid plans (and all that shit) not only was I not going fast enough to clear the curb, all I accomplished; was an abrupt stop, which catapulted me off the seat and wrapped my genitalia around the stem of the handle bars.

I remember some of the jumps we built as kids (inspired by watching "Evil Knievel" on T.V.) of course we lacked the insight into the number of times he crashed and the numerous injuries he sustained. Consequently frequently, someone's enthusiasm for thrill-seeking was dampened when they suffered one of these assaults to their boy bits. It was always funny when it happened to the other guy, to a point; there was still, some form of innate compassion. Everybody knew how much that hurts. Of course conditioning was such, that nobody could be seen "caring too much," as long as the dude got up again eventually, everyone just concerned themselves with setting up the ramp again.

I have been the recipient of a more severe reckoning with this anatomical design flaw; on bikes, being the road hockey goalie, being punched or kicked. On this occasion, gratefully, the impact was lessened. Of course it doesn't take much to "get one's attention."

Still straddling my bike, I did my best to wheel myself up onto the side walk; before dismounting the bike. I  quickly surveyed my surroundings to see if anyone had seen my faux pas. It's painful enough without ending up "live at 5:00" on someone's phone video. Once I was satisfied that I had not been "seen," I was then free to become fully conscious of my now registering pain receptors. Despite not recently having occasion to deal with such circumstances - I immediately summoned and channeled my little league coach and his perennial wisdom: "Walk it off.... atta-babe!" (seriously WTF does that mean? - is that the best you've got?) Truth is  - that's about it. Nobody is going to apply ice, even if there were any! So one "walks it off." (I suppose this is meant to show "what yer made of) It ain't easy maintain anything like a care free swagger under these circumstances; however, it will only hurt until it stops.

It was not my intention to belabour this incident but even as I gingerly made my way into the store an analogy was forming in my mind. I can't let a good metaphor/allegory go to waste; even when it involves personal suffering!! (There you go .... "I'm walking it off coach ... atta babe?")

So then ... why didn't this work out? It was because I half-heartedly tried to jump the curb (not enough speed nor momentum) the result - PAIN! The lesson, well as they say in the A.A. rooms "half-measures availed us nothing......" by which I'm saying, if your going to do something - GO FOR IT - a half-ass attempt will often lead to a half-ass (maybe painful failure) result.

I know this story will find it's way to some that will experience it in a "preaching to the converted" fashion; you are already taking life head-on. Good on ya, if nothing else, maybe I gave you some comic relief. For some of the rest of us (to be clear I'm part of "us") I'm preaching to the perhaps could stand to be converted; in that, sometimes out of the gate we might be a little tentative, trying to play it a little too safe and WHAM!

I'm just saying, a little drive, a little force, a little forward momentum, can go a long way!

No comments:

Post a Comment