Monday 27 June 2016

Lost and Found!

I've seen a post on Facebook, a couple of times now, with a caption that reads something like: "if you really want to know who someone is, wait until there is an issue with their computer."Presumably the implication is that Prince or Princess Charming, then might become the Tasmanian Devil.

I don't have an immediate story regarding my computer - but I sure do for my cell phone! So through the account of my lost cell phone, allow me to introduce myself.

I got out the door early, on what is a gorgeous summer day. Destination, a morning busking performance before working later this afternoon. I had to turn back once - just half a block from my front door, when I realized I didn't have my song sheets, again. Thank you - guidance (I won't even try to lay credit to my "memory?") Once I had retrieved my folder of song sheets I set out again. As I got almost to the intersection I saw the bus sitting at the red light. Now intent on getting "that bus" - I waited to see if there was going to be a break in the traffic (flowing against my path) that would allow me to cross to the bus stop, before the light turned green and the bus carried on while I was unable to cross). The bus pulled into the stop and the cross-walk signal changed to walk, I ran across and up along the side of the bus, fortunately there were passengers disembarking which gave me the opportunity to board! (In hindsight I may have lost my phone during that little sprint - however I had no awareness of it at that point so I'm happily riding my forty foot public transit limo to my gig, blissfully unaware.

After getting off the bus and walking a couple blocks I both saw that no one had the busking spot and slapped my pant pocket and realized I was minus one cell phone. I walked back the couple of blocks to where I had got off the bus, still no sign of it.

I walked back in the direction of my busking spot. I thought about where the bus was heading next, it didn't seem worthwhile to try and hustle around on foot. I had visions of being too little too late and it just being a waste of energy. Besides if someone turned it in to the driver - he would turn it in at the end of his shift, to the Transit "Lost and Found." (otherwise it well may be just lost).

I have a shift this afternoon and one tomorrow afternoon, so I don't need to be concerned about not having my "schedule" which is on my, more "mobile" than usual, phone. I believe at some point my phone spoke with my computer (unbeknownst to me) and my future shifts are on the calendar on my laptop. So if there is some delay in either finding my old phone or replacing it, I have access to my current bookings.

It's still a beautiful day and for the love of God: "the show must go on!!!" I decided that this was going to be a practice in being present and equanimity. I must say, I pulled it off - flawlessly!! In many ways it was just as though I came into town - without my phone. I frequently do that anyway. I like to give myself some "windows" (pun intended) of unplugged. I specifically affirmed for myself that this was not in any way, shape or form going to digress into a "shame-fest." What is done is done! (and I don't even know at this moment what is done?) I couldn't rule out that the phone was not still at home and I didn't have it, because, I didn't bring it.

I played with great gusto and enthusiasm, it was a lot of fun. Certainly more fun than chasing around after a missing phone - that I didn't know was missing and even if it was, my chasing it wouldn't get it back any sooner. (if... I lost it on the bus and if..... someone turned it into the driver..... it wouldn't be taken to lost and found until after his shift ..... whenever that might be).

When any thoughts about my phone crept in, I acknowledged them and re-centered on the music. (all my "contacts" are on that phone!) This is my 3rd phone since that contact list was initiated, each time I get a new phone and contract; the old list was just transferred to the new phone. Could be it's time to clean up that whole thang!

Here's how that's going to go. If the phone turns out to be lost, then I will "formerly" announce on Facebook and invite anyone that wants to continue to be a "contact," to send me their number, via private message. This will not account for everyone that was previously on the list - but then again, I don't even know who was all on there. If I don't get your renewed request to be on the list - then that is what it is. Any other numbers that are needed, will find their way back to me somehow.

After I finished singing - I walked over to "London Drugs" to use their facilities and then back to the Market where I had been busking, for a snack. I got myself a vegan bran muffin and a ginger beer. The former because with or without phone, I still maintain intestinal well-being can make or break your day and the latter, because I just plain throughly enjoy, a good ginger beer.

After my snack I walked toward "town" as I recalled, there was an outlet of my cell service at the mall.  It came to me, that they could advise me on what I needed to do and what my options were. I bid good day to a couple people I often see in that 'hood when busking. One a women that is a ardent supporter of my art and the other a fellow, I have chatted to a number of different times. I am learning he is a writer and has published - so I will be wanting to talk to him further. He has shared some of the events in conjunction with his experience with the "mental health" system. One day he asked me - "what get's your blood pumping, what inspires you to get up in the morning?" I have to admit, that question still echoes around in my being - I haven't as yet, come up with what for me is a satisfactory answer.

I got to the mall and talked with a young women at the cell outlet. She directed me to their free phone and 1-800 customer service number. After navigating the automated call screening and listening to some elevator music and intermittent assurances that my call was important, another young women came on the line. Eventually through the language barrier (she spoke perfect English - but I don't speak or understand tech-talk) she informed me that my number can be temporarily suspended and the phone itself has been put on a "black list" so that if someone found it and tried to activate it for their own use - that will be, a no go!

Did you have the locator on? she asks. My locator is "slap my pant leg" that's how this whole thing began - the slap informed me there was phone in pocket - interruptus!

"So, no you didn't have the locator on?" I certainly didn't consciously have it on (as I'm not familiar with the feature) so unless it was randomly switched on within the "settings" page - I would say it's off.

I learned that paying out my phone (if I don't retrieve it) will be $235.00 "The good news" she continues - all bubbles, sunshine and corporate effervescence - is that I can get a replacement (same model as the previous one) for $99.00 and lower monthly payments for my new plan. "I'll leave a note on your file to that effect. Somehow I think this is probably better new for "Bell" than for me - but I see if I can embrace the "phone is half full" for now.

Well that handles that! The cell outlet then steered me to their free computer so I could go online and get the contact info for the transit company. From there I left a msg. with "Lost and Found."

The busking gig yielding me $19.45 so, if you're one that insists on assessing the day through the lens of materialism; then, should replacement be necessary, that is:  ($235.00 + 99.00) - $19.45 = oh my what will I do - the calculator is on my phone!?! I would then be "out" $314.55 (not to mention a new "otter box" for the phone and amortizing the costs .... blah .. blah .. blah

OR

As I choose to see it .... handling one of life's inconveniences, while maintaining conscious choice over associated feelings and beliefs -  maintaining focus in order to be here now and fully enjoy the moment - living life with trust that everything always works out for me - PRICELESS!

No comments:

Post a Comment