Monday 9 May 2016

Trees - Volumes of Wisdom (Without a Single page)


"I honour the energy of hazel, the tree of wisdom. I heed my own inner intuitions, and will be wise and informed in my choices. So mote it be."

A quote from a website I was led to while pondering what I might write about today. The path today has led to an interesting weave. I had been at a restaurant in my own neighbourhood; while having a coffee, Oak trees began to impress upon my thoughts. I was reminded once again of the source of strength, security, visioning and power; I derived from the oak tree in the front yard, of the house I grew up in. "All hell" could be breaking out in my world - however, in the canopy of that tree I was untouchable!"

Then my thoughts went to a couple of weeks ago, while on a walk through the park, I happened by the ball field where a game was in progress. I used to play in that very league! I stopped and sat to watch for a while.  The league has evolved from its inception when I first began playing - it was more an exception than the rule, that the whole team had the same hat. Now they have uniforms and sponsors; still being a "mixed" league, the team must field at least three women at any given time. Many of the teams have managed to attract women, that have formerly played in the highly competitive women's fastball leagues - nobody will ever get away with telling them they "throw like a girl." 

Oh, how I longed to swing the bat again! I watched the pitches coming in, the sound of the ball smacking the catchers glove, was both audible and visceral! It's all in the timing - it doesn't matter how hard the pitch is coming in - when you connect squarely with that ball; it's going out exponentially with more power than it came in with! There was nothing like the feeling of taking one of the opposing pitcher's offerings and creaming it! As I sat in the bleachers I looked off to the distant perimeter fence, where I had innumerable times sent the ball soaring - beyond the reach of any of the defensive fielders; the only thing that kept that ball in this time zone, were the trees that towered on the other side of the "home run" fence.

Once I was through with my "bat man" day dreaming - my eyes were taken from where I sat, over the backstop and behind one of the players benches; as I tracked a foul ball. Laying on the ground was a massive oak tree; I simply had to make this lying behemoth's acquaintance! Certainly some of the more "mature" oaks in the park, stand a striking figure that demands awe; when conceiving their stature. However, lying on the ground, somehow, this tree seemed bigger than life. Some of it's branches that would still have protruded at a height greater than the average human, had been sawn off and lay along side it's great mass. The excavation site where the roots had presumable let go during a wind storm was cavernous. Though many of it's roots remained at the base of the tree, some could still be seen, now reaching skyward, from the gaping scar; as though clamouring to reunite tree and earth.  A few signs had been fasten to the tree to designate it a "wildlife tree" a visual reminder of the prolific creation of redundant signage. I'm thinking "what the hell was it before some "public servant" decided to tag it?" I was reminded of somewhere on my travels seeing a sign posted above the urinals "that the water was not potable" - I wondered; with the exception of one's beloved labrador retriever, does anyone else, need to be advised not to drink from the toilet?

So then, all this is flashing through my mind and I still haven't really formulated what I'm going to write about. I went online and starting looking at sites that related to the matter of trees. I found some amazing images of the "celtic tree of life" - which I'm  pretty sure will inspire my next tattoo. While I'm sitting there, out of nowhere the image of a small book entitled "Metaphysical Meditations" by Paramahansa Yogananda comes to mind. I had briefly paid attention to that in the window of a shop downtown, as I walked by after busking. The store was closed and/or I wasn't interested in "shopping" so I carried on my way.

I decided to pay attention to this prompting - I packed up my computer and walked the half-block to the bus stop.  As I was waiting I pondered what this book (what any other book) has to do with me? I decided that if it were a matter of getting this book - I would purchase it if, it was under twenty dollars. When I arrived at the shop the book was still in the window. I entered and went to the book section to see if there were additional copies on the shelf; so I could "browse," without having the storekeeper retrieve the one on display. Sure enough there was another copy - price $17.80. As I browsed through it I was prompted to look up again and there on the shelf, was a small "pocket size" paper back copy, of what appeared, to be the same book. Without reading deeply - I compared the two to see if the small copy had the entire content of the small hard-cover copy; Indeed it did, price $7.80. Alright then,  a far more convenient size and a price that doesn't necessarily compromise my vision of Belfast in September.

With book in hand I browsed the rest of the store - I came across a silver pendant of the "triskele" I decided I had to have that and that it would be worn in unison (an overlay of sorts) with the "Celtic Cross" pendant I already wear.

Around the corner from the shop I just patronized is one of the coffee shops I frequent when in town; often the location where these blog posts are conceived.

I sat down with a hot drink strung my new pendant - my vision of the "over-lay" materialized and I decided to open the little book and see what it was that brought me "out of my way" even giving rise to "concern," that my writing time was to be disrupted - knowing I had to work later this afternoon.

In the introductory pages of the book is a "Prayer for a United World" - the first line reads: 
"May the heads of all countries and races be guided to understand that men of all nations are physically and spiritually one...." (it carries on but that in itself resonated deeply to me and from where I sat; it was in alignment, with my stringing the two pendants together, though they represent different places in "time" and what is often seen, as disparate "schools of thought." )  Yogananda's opening line reminds me that one of my core values is "inclusion" and speaks to of what I believe is demonstrated by all the different trees co-habitating in "one forest;" perhaps the continued evolution of humanity will be informed by the best of the various forms of consciousness from the past and will weave to manifest a "whole" new design, for living united, that is far greater than any of it's parts!"

Didn't have any time to further read about the "Hazel tree" which according to this site is the tree that corresponds with my birth date. I will read further on that and perhaps it will inform future posts - today's lesson came from the oak that there is value and power in holding strong (with my original intent etc). however; if there is not some allowance made for flexibility, the result could be loss of "life or limb" when the tree (the vision/the plan) is subject to the winds of change.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment