Monday 23 May 2016

About Face (book)

It's entirely possible I just spent as much time avoiding beginning this post, as it will take me to write it. I accomplished this through the cavernous maw known as "Facebook." Depending what one has "liked" into presence on their "newsfeed," there can be interesting/inspiring offerings. The same applies to the various things "friends" have posted. Undeniably I intermittently contribute to the stream of consciousness with both the "posts" of others and those I have written. To what end? I have no idea! It seems to me that Facebook now frequently regurgitates many of the same posts. In this respect, it has for me lost the appeal of "freshness." Even if that were to be addressed it still wouldn't take away from the potential time drain.

Certainly if my intention is to write and I end up "lost in face" (book) my objective can be at least compromised, at worst sabotaged. I knew of "Facebook" quite sometime before I got involved on it. I couldn't wrap my head around why I would want to use it, when I already had email. Even now, while I "actively" spend time on this "social" media, I'm of mixed feeling with regard to it's value.

I began when after having met some members of my "biological" family and they indicated to me this was how they stayed in touch. That is true to varying degrees - which I'm not attributed to anyone in particular. Over a period of five or six years my "friends" list has grown to it's modest size. I initially thought, though naively, that when some asked you to be "their friend" it was something a kin to having a "pen pal,"  - it does not!  (This idea obviously belies my age - as I don't think this type of communication much occurs at all anymore) I apparently was deluding myself. At first I felt some excitement over the prospects of this modern day, window of connection possibilities. Other times disappointment, confusion, even a little sad and hurt.

I may not be the most stellar example of a communicator in "real time" - but nonetheless, to me, the electronic form of communication pales by comparison to person to person interaction. While it does offer the convenience, ease and even economical advantage of world wide connection (except I guess where there are internet restrictions) at best it can augment, but cannot replace; the conversation format that predates the "electronic revolution." Having said that, there are certainly those that I suppose, have the right combination of time, willingness and techno-savvie, to write an old world letter, on an electronic platform.

Will I abandon Facebook altogether? Probably not, unless of course I do! I have done away with what for years, I might have believed were mainstays of modern "living;" one being a motor vehicle, the other being an "entertainment centre." This is by no means a statement of virtue on my part or a judgment of those that choose to maintain these conveniences. I may have another vehicle some day; it depends on, the direction my lifestyle takes in the future. As for movies, cable etc. I don't feel any loss in their absence. I read a blog post not long ago; written by a women that submitted that it was important "as a writer," to stay connected to the media for global events and made for T.V. programming, in order to stay current with cultural orientation. Given it would be preferable to engage the author person to person in order to get further clarification, on what she really valued about those "windows on the world;" my only way to engage with her ideas in this case, is to disagree. The news media is biased at best - out and out propaganda at worst. As for the "cultural" supposition, one only needs ongoing exposure to the world according to the corporate network programming formats; if, that is what they want to write about, or be influenced by. It certainly has nothing to do with the expression of an individual's conscious viewpoint.

 Too much time can be lost going down these avenues. I try to post things that I have found interesting/inspiring, at times provocative. Having said that, too much time spent reading the articles etc. of others, takes away from the time I could be spending engaging in my own experiences and subsequent expression of that.

I find myself of late at a cross-roads of sorts. One direction is a continued orientation to writing from a frame of reference as though I "know something." The other direction is more a feeling/experiential based presentation, that would utilize the gifts of the intellect in service. The latter is not entirely foreign, but is, a relatively unexplored landscape. As such, it presents as somewhat mysterious and an adventure. On the other hand, there is some fear that comes from the "idea" - how can I write without "knowing?" It would seem the process moving forward, is to engage the mind-generated fears; by including "it," as a valued contributing member of the "team," just not the captain of the ship.

There is very little to be gained by regurgitating the work, experiences and perspectives of others. For one thing, they have already done that. A further move toward greater authenticity on my part; which would include the fear associated vulnerability of "not knowing," would serve the creation of new pathways, instead of following in the footsteps of others. And while it doesn't ensure that makes it impeccable, at the end of the day - it is indisputably my experience. If others resonate with that - wonderful.

I find no fault in being inspired by the work of others - but only to the point of integrating there teaching into my life, with the intention to have my own experience.

Time spent living vicariously through the experiences of others or avoiding my own experiences or expressing a stand of my own; is time taken directly from my own life and any service I might have otherwise been to others. I'm not sure any cable carried "reality" is worth that price.

No comments:

Post a Comment