Tuesday 8 March 2016

The Life of Nature/The Nature of Life

As I walked to work the other day I passed an apartment building that had for quite sometime been concealed in shrouds while the entire exterior was given a "face-lift;" or perhaps, it was one of the many buildings from a few decades ago that shared an architectural "snafu" which rendered them vulnerable to our temperate rainforest climate (aka "Leaky Condos"). Either way the exterior was once again exposed for all to see.

The grounds around the condo no longer bore the manicured landscaping, but were stripped down to earth riddled with construction rumble. Through this microcosm of destruction - erupting defiantly, despite rock, concrete/mortar fragments and the topsoil itself trampled and compressed, was a lone crocus in full bloom. What a staggering display of the resilience of nature. Whether it was the off-spring of previous growth or had been transplanted through the droppings of a passing bird - the fact remained; in the face of what appeared to be (albeit small in scope) utter devastation, creation continued it's ongoing symphony.

Regardless of humankind's deluded thinking that nature is being "conquered" there is endless evidence that the "nature" of nature, is that it won't be squelched. When humans will embrace more universally, that there is no point in trying to defeat nature, is anybody's guess. Nature won't be "controlled" (though clearly science has found ways to manipulate it) attempts to do so, have either proven to have undesirable outcomes; or we are still mid-story in some scientific folly, so the verdict is yet to be realized.

There is an awesome power at work - that raises spring pageantry through construction rubble! Why would I (or anyone for that matter) think that "we," no matter to what extent ourselves have be "devastated;" through the very same magnificent creative force, acting on us and through us, cannot enjoy a similar "resurrection?"

    Almost 99% of the mass of the human body is made up of six elements: oxygencarbon, hydrogen, nitrogencalcium, and phosphorus. Only about 0.85% is composed of another five elements: potassiumsulfur, sodium, chlorine, and magnesium. All are necessary to life. (Wikipedia)
    At our elemental face value, it might be said we have more in common with "Play dough" than anything else. However the same creative intelligence that is at work orchestrating events both so infinitesimally large and small (and everything in between) that they can't even be measured, replicated or explained, is at our very "nature."
    I am neither a biblical scholar nor an adherent of a particular faith path that relies upon (nor proclaims to lay claim to the one true interpretation). I'm inclined to believe the words held within, are metaphor and allegory and hold living truth which, can see to it, that each reader receives exactly what they need at the time - based on their own inner discernment. Before you discount my interpretation, consider it certainly can't do any greater harm than those that claim to be "guided by God" and then they rain scud missiles on other groups of people that are often ill-quipped to defend themselves.
    As this post was being created I was "guided" to search the following scriptural references - using nothing more than a couple of key words - it's not a passage I already knew by rote, nor was I thinking about it when I began writing. It would seem it was being "suggested" as it can be seen as useful given the "train of thought" I was riding.

    Matthew 6:26-34New King James Version (NKJV)

    26 Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?27 Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?
    28 “So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; 29 and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30 Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?
    31 “Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
    I am not trying to sell anybody on the bible or Christianity nor do I wish, to through out the baby with the bath water. Personally I look to what unites the various wisdom paths and don't restrict myself to only a select few. My point where that is concerned is that we all, by are very nature, have common interests which I'm suggesting would likely be better served, if we acted in harmony with nature, our own nature and the nature of others. I love that in the past week I heard reference to a line in this scripture: "Seek first the kingdom of God...." I had no idea that it was contained within what I have inserted here - to me the synchronicity would have the hair standing up on my head (if I had any).
    How much of what is so commonly deemed the "problems facing humanity" with respect to our "impact" upon the planet,  is due to too much concern for amassing so much more than what any individual, community, or nation requires in order to thrive. I'm not for a moment suggesting care and concern should not be extended to our environment - Mother Nature/Mother Earth; I just seriously doubt we will "wipe out the planet" - given my observation of the "death defying" crocus,  I wonder if nature and humanity by extension, are impervious to complete eradication. We are (I'm suggesting) to nature, as wet is to water; this includes our "relationship" with the source of creation.  Certainly the quality of life for those inhabiting the planet can manifest along a very broad spectrum of possibilities. This is not a treatise on the "evils" of wealth, prosperity - if anything I would hope to represent that there is enough for everyone - that those that hope to monopolize and exploit are subverting natural laws. I am aware there is wealth and prosperity that have nothing to do with finances (except that they do) - some of those ideas are given voice in the bible as well - perhaps the fodder for a future post. 
    Another reference to "sowing" and "reaping" suggests one reaps as they sow. I certainly know from my own experience that whatever sustains life (actually constitutes life) has continued to seek resurrection through countless personal crucifixions. I don't consider myself unique in this light - I must state out front, that this continued to be true, even when life itself, sustained me far more than my existence was upheld, by anything I could take credit for. To the casual observer, my walk through life must have appeared as though the only biblical reference at play in my life, was I was inclined to go about "smiting myself in the head."
    So then, my respect for life and nature had to start very close to home. I believe in "heaven on earth" - I believe it is encapsulated in the first scripture ("therefore do not worry about tomorrow.....") I also believe that before I concern myself about expanded possibilities for people around me, or the world, I need to believe it possible for myself. Nature, planet earth, the universe support my (and everyone's) expansion - which is not the same thing as "the world is at my disposal." I need to continue expanding my sense of awe for the web of life in it's entirety. Why are "goose-bumbs" reserved for sunsets, mountain tops, symphonic crescendo and rainbows when each and everyone one of us walking the planet, contain all of these and so much more!
    Granted it might not be entirely pragmatic but if I knelt and held in reverence and awe more,  of life in it's myriad forms, maybe a wave of people "acting in kind"could be generated. Laugh if you will... it already happens at sports coliseums world wide - it simply requires a change of intention.








No comments:

Post a Comment