Tuesday 1 March 2016

Don't Just Mean What You Say (Do it!)

As there was no shift booked today from either of my "day-jobs" I set out with the intention of busking. The forecast wasn't favourable for locations without shelter so I set my sights on the downtown library courtyard - it has the features of being sheltered, good acoustics and as far as it goes, typically, for me,  it's middle of the road in terms of financial gratuity. I was only a few songs into my set when another fellow that busks (plays various wooden flutes) came by. I could tell by his energy he had something on his mind. He waited until I finished the song I was singing and then quipped "aren't we the early birds?" It wasn't early for me, it was the general time I show up there which for the most part allows me to play and get out, leaving me time to play elsewhere if the weather is conducive, or get on with other errands etc. I'm not keen on waiting for someone else to finish playing and fortunately I'm not entirely dependent on this income (I certainly can make use of it) - but if it's raining or I don't choose to play elsewhere, I certainly don't engage the busker "turf wars."(I don't want to link my financial well-being entirely to busking so that I don't feel the same pressure that others might).

After his opening line which thinly veiled his actual agenda he - said pointedly, "one hour" I replied, no, I just got here" 
"Yes he answers, so, one hour then!"
"No actually I'm here for 2 hours" (which is the generally accepted duration and the time frame outlined in the "street performer" by-laws).
Off then he goes to points unknown.

Not surprising I suppose, that because unlike a sunny day, "performance" options are somewhat compromised therefore some become rather "heavy-handed" and frustrated when their intentions are thwarted. It's an even playing field for us all - first come first serve. I have on many occasions, when I see someone coming to play - worked it out with them, frequently I have given up the spot (share the wealth) I can play anywhere - it doesn't matter). Sure, some places are "tried and true" however all I've got to lose playing somewhere entirely different, is the time I spend doing it. Of course I love to put some additional jingle in my jeans - but I also love to sing; I don't come away with anything less if the location isn't as "lucrative." I play (pun intended) with my energy when in any location - insisting the a particular spot is the only place I can be "successful" is no different than believing I need to attend a particular location in order to connect to Great Spirit or that I need an intermediary to connect and they can deliver the message. Just the other day - I had fun and done "well" in tips inside an hour - a different performer approached, I asked him if he was wanting to play and he said - "ya- sure whenever you're done." I said, "I could be done now, I've got the platform all warmed up for you - on with the show!" His reply, "I was really enjoying listening to you, why don't you play a while longer?" A completely different interaction. I sang a while longer - then we nattered about his little back-packer guitar and I went on to enjoy playing elsewhere (not having worn out my voice and hands there).

In today's instance I decided I was going to take care of my needs (which weren't necessarily to make money playing) but I wasn't going to let this guy's aggressive approach get the best of me, so I stood my ground.  Ironically the day unfolded to encapsulate a further lesson for me in not being attached to outcomes. I no sooner started again and one of the building security officers approaches and informs me there is some meeting in progress and they have informed him to "shut down the music." In the moment I was irritated - but packed up nonetheless. Normally - musicians and the "Ministry of whatever...."seem to be able to co-exist in that locale - not so today. I don't feel compelled to have this post degenerate into a rant regarding "authority figures or government employees.  I had other things in mind to do today, this simply meant I commenced earlier than anticipated.

What turned out to be not the most favourable window for busking is certainly a stellar opportunity to write. In the last few days I have taken the opportunity to get more of my written expression where it can be visible. I readdressed the spirit of creativity itself and committed to following through on "inspiration" in order that the work is accessible. It is not for me to determine who, when or where creativity expressed through me, becomes meaningful for someone else. I do believe that at it's source, an indefinite period of time will not be afforded to the one that first was visited by a particular inspiration (doesn't mean you'd be cut off from any future connection) but creation seeks expression so if not through me - then there's bound to be another recipient that is ready to spring into action. How else do you suppose - an idea that "you had" that you shared with no one (but also didn't act upon) materializes through someone else as it's "creator?" No foul, no punishment - they were ready and willing to do the footwork.

So maybe my pledge to give my writing regular energy, focus and intention was given a bit of a "leg up" in the form of - "what has singing got to do, with building, expanding and maintaining some momentum with your writing?" Nobody is denying you love to sing - it's working for ya, and is generally positively received - however, if you intend to write and you end up singing, you're singing a song that might be tagged "The Procrastination Blues." "What have you done about your desire to be a writer today?" Did you mean it? The Ministry nor it's employees can't stop you from singing - only you can do that! If you want to sing, then sing! By all means if you chose, to sing rather than further your intention to write, go ahead and do that - you might consider doing so in a way that is supportive of your writing intention." "There is no reason you can't do both, just don't fool yourself into thinking that doing one - will magically lead to achieving the other."

There we have it - for good, bad or indifferent another blog post is conceived and delivered!


No comments:

Post a Comment