Saturday 26 March 2016

"Amazing" Grace

Today I'm going to attempt to spin a tale of grace. When I say "attempt" I personally felt the presence of grace weaving throughout my day today - however, to then claim to be able to specifically describe it and or define it; well, that is beyond my scope.

I started the morning considering that I would spend sometime performing in the streets this day. To prepare I decided today would be the day I restrung my guitar. I had been playing it the last number of times out with a mixed bag of strings; some remained from the last time I restrung it, others were a mixture of strings that had been used and then saved as spares, for if and when, I broke strings. This meant they were possibly from different string sets - they sounded ok, though some frequently went out of tune. I had two brand new packages of strings which I purchased about two weeks ago.  The only thing that stood between allowing myself to enjoy the brilliance of new strings was essentially myself; in the form of a story that, I don't have the time to sit and change them. (even though it probably took all of ten or fifteen minutes this morning to do it!)

As I rode the bus into town I pondered potential performance locations. I was getting into town a little later, so I anticipated that a couple of the spots I frequently play, would already be occupied. Sure enough as I came to the library courtyard and there was a fellow playing his banjo. I have chatted with him a few times as I was finishing and he was arriving. I asked him "had he just got started?" He indicated that he'd be there another forty-five minutes if I wanted to come back, make it ten minutes to the hour and he'd give me the spot. I had already decided to try down the stretch of shops that are frequented during "tourist season." I have played there before and hadn't experienced particularly high gratuity rates. That was then - this is now!

I have innumerable performances under my belt since I first wandered with trepidation and my first "busker's license" down that block. I've also been fostering and have experienced, considerable inner transformation - my continuance as a busker might well be more about "the inside job" than anything else. On this occasion I wanted to "play" (pun intended) with holding the energy of love while I played. After the first few songs - the money began to flow. In the mix was a couple of American dollar bills (always a fun part of busking as more tourists fill the streets). I look forward to another journey to Maui one day, so I put all the U.S. money aside for spending money. I'll likely busk when I get back there too.

After I had been playing for awhile and had already easily been tipped more than I ever had down there - a young girl stood outside the ice cream shop adjacent to where I was set up. I saw her unzip a little change purse and she came over and place another U.S. bill in my case. I thanked her as was playing, which is my habitual practice. The bill she place was all scrunched up so I couldn't see what it was; but presumed it was a one dollar bill. When she returned to her father I could see they exchanged words and though I couldn't hear what was being said, the facial expression and body language spoke volumes - he wasn't happy! They walked off and after I finished the song I was playing I checked the bill she had placed down - it was a U.S. twenty dollar bill!  I had received twenty dollars from one person on a couple of other occasions, but it's not the "norm." I thought - what a beautiful generous gesture on the part of this young girl (while at the same time gained some insight into her father's scornful expression).  I was marvelling in the "effect" of energy etc. Shortly there after the two of them returned - they both sheepishly echoed the same (likely pre-agreed upon story) she had "mistakenly" given a twenty dollar bill. She was all apologetic, I thanked her again and told her she was a very generous person, while I bent over and fished her money out. They gave me a couple of U.S. ones and a handful of change and went on their way, as I wished them a happy Easter.

I pondered whether the "event" had any reflective value for me? Was there any unconscious "worth" energy within, that might have caused me to balk at receiving "so much money" all at once?  (therefore I experienced first hand, money manifesting and disappearing). I just kept right on performing; quite satisfied that I allowed the two folks on their vacation a positive experience and didn't allow the circumstance, to sully my good time. Within the singing of a couple more songs, they came back and put another Canadian five dollar bill in my case for which I thanked them and sent them on their way with more weekend blessings. (I was certainly receiving plenty!!)

The upshot of my time down on "Government Street" was the highest return I've had down there. The insight and self-awareness on top of that - priceless!

I decided to head back toward the library - I figured if it was available I'd play a short set there (and use the washroom). On my way there I crossed paths with another fellow that "busks" (native american flutes) he stopped briefly and asked if I was going to the library - when I replied I thought I'd check it out - he said, "I just left there it was pretty slow!"

I arrived there - no one "on stage" - went in, used the facilities; came back out - still my oyster!
I played for about forty-five minutes and got another sixteen dollars in return. Just for perspective, I have made more or less that amount at the same place playing for two hours - I've also made twice that - also in two hours. To have made that much for such a short set is a first - I also was given the gift of a couple different people reflecting to me both; that songs I had selected were particularly moving to them, and was thanked for performing them so beautifully!

I'm sure "grace" could be described/defined in ways infinitely more complex - today to me, it looks and feels as I have duly noted here.

No comments:

Post a Comment