Monday 29 February 2016

Street Beat

From blocks away it grabs me - this throbbing primal beat
At once my mind over-ridden by the groove sought by my feet
The source I now discover is two minstrels from the street
My energy soon shifted – blues - sent on a spontaneous retreat

The spirit of these troubadours is anything but discreet
A smile and a wave to all that pass – good will and talent meet
Within the heart of the city this really is a treat
Life brought to ribbons of asphalt and canyons of concrete

Their presence on the corner becomes the life force heard for blocks
Secret envy of those walking by in suits - slaves to arbitrary clocks
To some a scourge - after all - he’s not even wearing socks
I see integrity – to self be true, hear a rhythm that really rocks

It takes no end of courage to think outside the box
Go contrary to social conscious – it’s mental bars and endless locks
On this day I’m grateful to these two they filled my heart with glee
For a fleeting instant upon that street my soul knew what it is to be free.




No comments:

Post a Comment