Monday 18 January 2016

"Listless" in 2016



How do you suppose all the various people of note throughout history managed to become "people of note" without "life-hacks" and enumerated lists of how to: be extraordinary at pretty much anything? Now while I can accept to be true that if you come to know of someone that is successfully doing something that you aspire to do (or something similar) then no doubt they encountered some potholes on their personal long and winding road and if they were gracious enough to impart some of that journey you might well avoid those same pitfalls. Of course that doesn't mean you won't find yourself in your own unique unforeseen abyss, however without insisting one must suffer for their "art" or whatever their pursuit might be, while it might serve to not entirely "reinvent the wheel" some snags and tangles encountered on route might well be an integral part of your "personal" development.

Now, I understand the appeal of the idea that by following a simple list of qualities or behaviours one could be the next Leonardo da Vinci, Mother Teresa, Steve Jobs or Oprah - but seriously, I question the efficacy of such lists! Of course these lists are not without ancient precedence - for example, Moses tried to impress a list on humanity, complete with pyro-technics and what has grown to be a fairly significant distribution strategy and readership. While I wouldn't go so far as to say it failed - it still remains to be seen to what degree it might be allowed to be effective.  There really is nothing to assure that following anyone's suggested list, even if it worked for them, that it will work for you. The thing is by the time you realize that - you already bought the book. I don't mean to call into doubt the sincerity of those that wish to offer others support with realizing some of their dreams and while these various success stories undoubtedly had a myriad of supporting cast that might never be made known, I would suggest that I am always going to be a second rate imitation of anyone else but myself.

The work, philosophies, quotes, style, path of others, will naturally provide one with something to "cut their teeth" on - but at some point it will be necessary to leave the visible road and chart a course through the unknown where the only footprints will be your own. I see it as a recognition of personal significance. No longer do I look to be "extraordinary" while at the same time I need to lay to rest my personal demons that would otherwise continue to reverberate not just the possibility there exists a "lack of credibility" but that I innately "suck." So then, a quiet confidence is required to continue to place one foot in front of the other, without the need for the constant accolades and approval of others.

No "one size fits all" list is going to get me there. I actually can't think of anything that I've accomplished that was attained through the use of "short-cuts," though to be sure I've most certainly sought "the path of least resistance." Now I won't diminish my own successes but at the same time I acknowledge that I have not attained "world caliber" proficiency in any arena. What I can say is the "path of most resistance" I discovered was internal, and looked like a lack of acceptance of what it was going to take to allow myself success, not always but frequently. The thing with short-cuts I can elucidate with a metaphor involving roads. On the island I live on there still exists an "old highway" that traces the coastline of the island that is such a beautiful journey! Quite sometime ago now an "in-land" express highway with sections that post 100-110kph speed limits was created, to cut time off the journey. It certainly effectively accomplishes this time saving strategy but it does so while compromising the winding scenic beauty of the coastline.

I suppose there are those that would lay claim to having turned in a "successful" book report reading the Coles notes or watching the movie but at what cost?  I won't speak in terms of "absolutes" short-cuts, lists and "hacks" undoubtedly aren't as popular as they are because nobody is interested in employing them or they would just disappear. I would submit the world doesn't need further conformity or imitation. The fact remains the map and I would suggest, the same holds true for the "list," is not the territory. Once you embark on your own you will discover you are living your own list which can be inspiring, intriguing and might even become the framework of your legacy, but I would suggest caution where insisting that anyone else can expect the same journey following your list!








No comments:

Post a Comment