Friday 28 August 2015

Play it Again - Sam!

So today, which as it happens, is the end of the eighth cycle of 7 year blocks  (to the day) and as far as I can determine from where I presently sit, the beginning of another one. At the beginning of that odyssey it is popular to coin references to elapsed time in months (up to I believe 24 and then for some reason years become the bench mark. So I opened this piece with a "age" reference that both encapsulated a chronological talisman and a reference to an entirely different measure of existential evolutionary paradigms. Though the latter implies certain "advancement" on a entirely linear schedule I will submit based on my experience, it doesn't necessarily go that way. This should come as no surprise to many (provided they aren't entirely adhered to reduce everything to some sort of specific framework - I believe one form of that is known as "reductionism") maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to me that if one employs a methodology that is tagged thus, that they ought to be open to, if not expecting, something to be missing in the explanation, but then again, maybe I'm over-simplifying.

Between getting to the gym this morning, being there and walking home I was tuned into a playlist of music on my iPod that was appropriately retrospective (which in no way should be taken to mean it was myopically maudlin or lacking in presence or vision). It was a multi-dimensional trek that might well be the envy of a radio station musical director - if indeed one of their "oldies" weekends could be able to conjure such a journey.

In no particular order as the downloading of these songs wasn't accomplished with any preconceived  design (well at least none I'm consciously aware of) these track were compiled at "random" times often as my attention was drawn to them. Perhaps it was all in preparation for this very day!

I was moved to tears as I was bathed in the young voice of Michael Jackson singing "Ben" I was close to age of the prodigy at the time of this song's frequent air time - I knew then, intimately the themes of that song. That rat and I were soul mates if not the young Michael's own projections embodied in the song.

My soul danced with delight to "Rock Lobster" and though I have an entirely different place of reference I pondered and honoured what it means to me to worship at the "Love Shack." There was time spent communing with Al Stewart during the "Year of the Cat" - admittedly I still haven't given my undivided attention to the lyrics - somehow the song made the list, so it spoke to me at some level. In general terms, with no intended offense to cat lovers, when isn't it the year of the cat?

I was stirred to depths of my soul listening to various tracks from the soundtrack of the movie "August Rush" for the most diverse of sonically assisted extravagza I favour the overture which is a layered blend of music that invariably conveys to me volumes and invites the full emotional spectrum as it unfolds.

I revisited the delightful harmonies of the Beach Boys which took me to a place in time that embraced their art long before I would ever set foot in "Cal- i- forn - i -a"  My "Deuce Coupe" was some sort of Mazda - never did get rubber in all four gears (not for lack of trying) but I certainly destroyed my share of clutches and was involved directly or indirectly with reducing a once sound automobile to scrap iron. I related profoundly to "my room" as that which was a safe haven for my secrets. My current relationship with truth has resulted in my not being as guarded with my secrets, I am I suppose, a story-teller, my canvas the blank screen, my palette, words and life's situations and experiences I simply can't relegate the telling to be strictly in black & white there for a more transparent techni-colour narration. Take it from me you don't even have to get wet to go on Surfin' Sarfari (oh I know, read a book about riding a horse versus riding a horse two vastly different realities) can you or will you entertain that these songs speak to so many realms of being that energetically, it's going on! If you really want to surf - then the option is available! I avow to more "Fun Fun Fun" though I don't feel compelled that it involve a T-Bird. Who knows maybe I'll rent sometime but I don't feel inspired to own one.

I was transported back in time to military "Sunset ceremonies" on the lawns of the Legislature buildings or the parade square at the former Royal Roads military college as I listened to a few selections of music performed by various military bands. My dad was a musician in the Naden band he never encouraged - nor did I ever aspire to follow in his footsteps and join the military however the snare drums which he played and the cadence of the music are indelibly etched upon my heart and apparently remain like cryogenic remains just awaiting to illicit a maelstrom of feelings. Even a rendition of the Canadian national anthem evokes a response that I'm sure is a multi-faceted as any other aspect of the psyche - I certainly don't consider myself a "nationalist" or likely wouldn't be easily contained within the accepted definition of "patriotic," yet there is no denying the response to the music.

The next selections were Scottish regiments performing "Auld Lang Syne" and "Amazing Grace" a totally different energy again featured in the style of snare drum they utilize and the pipes are almost other worldly. Well in fact they do hail from parts of the world and places in history that actually are part of my ancestral lineage, though I have largely been "steeped" in another culture, at another time. It defies logic that I should feel this connection given that there has been virtually no time nurturing it and very little time even having any "knowing" of it - just the same at some level, there is significant recognition - that I appreciate profoundly, within a container of mystification.

More than a "trip down memory lane" this musical saga is a goulash of sensations, awareness and will never again be experienced as it was on this occasion. I mentioned cycles as references to the passage of time - whether these are synonymous with trips around the "medicine wheel" - cycles of karma, rings around the fabled "rosie" I can assure you I've "been around the block" maybe that's what was being referenced in "I Get Around" (i.e. "round round get around.... I get around) and if or until the lyrics become "I Don't Get Round Much Anymore" even the seemingly familiar can be potentially experienced newly.












No comments:

Post a Comment