Tuesday 16 June 2015

Born Free - Live Free!

Yesterday marked a personal rite of passage (in as much as I declare it so), I don't know that it would be recognized beyond that. The end of this summer marks my fifty-sixth year (it's said in some schools of thought that major life transitional markers happen in seven years increments. That would mean I'm on the cusp of the eighth one. If text book indicators of human development are indeed valid, I can't say that I have proceeded "on schedule." However, I believe my soul development is right on track.

For 40 of those 56 years, I have pretty much always owned a car. Getting a driver's license represents quite a leap in terms of responsibility and independence, at least that's the supposition. For young men (& now more so) young women in our culture, this rather nebulous milestone is as close as it gets to any discernible rite. Unlike rites undertaken by young people in other cultures this one, of itself, doesn't necessarily assure maturation or anything in the way of self-discovery. It's coveted by youth that haven't achieved the grail, many parents I suspect, would just as soon delay the inevitable (for reasons of their own).

All this to say, I sold my car yesterday! It has been parked since the end of August last year. As part of reprioritization of finances and a general life reevaluation I had chosen not to drive it, but also decided not to be "hasty" getting rid of it. Since then I have walked, cycled and used public transit. Some ten months later - I'm recognizing, I've been "car-less" this whole time, what do I need it for?

I also became aware of a couple of financial statistics (one some time ago, the other upon the sale of the vehicle). The former I read on the public transit website - apparently "on average" it costs $11,000.00 a year to own & operate a car! I'm thinking, I could direct that sum into a variety of other quality of life directions. They didn't offer a breakdown to itemize this annual cost - obviously that includes insurance, gas and maintenance, perhaps incidentals like parking, and toll roads. I don't know if that would include yearly depreciation, which is part of the latter financial reality I mentioned. The car was gifted to me - almost eight years ago, at that time it retailed for $33,000 some -odd dollars. Now - the equivalent vehicle is listed in used car publications for $8500 -9000) A potential buyer had a pre-purchase assessment done which discovered $4000 odd dollars worth of necessary repairs - so rather than incur that, I sold it to a salvage buyer for $3000.00. Not even 8 years old and it "devalues" $30,0000! If I had purchased the car, in which case I would undoubtedly be making payments - the loan would far outlive the vehicle. I'm not sure I will ever own a new vehicle again. I'm no financial wiz-kid, but that makes no sense to me at all! Why? Why? Why?

As far as I'm concerned that's a couple thousand pound albatross off from around my neck. I'm not going to now jump on the environmental soap box and sing my praises because I'm no longer a motorist. I can't even absolutely say I'll never own some sort of vehicle again one day - but from where I sit right now, the energy exchange required to own & drive a car is not worth it to me.

What then of the association of a man and his car? Well.... I don't know what that represents to others. I'm of course aware of the stereotypes. None of which, do I (or have I ever) fit into. I'm just more comfortable with that now, than at earlier parts of my life. I am not entirely lacking in mechanical aptitude - however my attitude toward it is, I'm not keen. I usually avoid conversations with "car guys" because I'm left in the dust right out of the gate. Where I know considerable detail about my inner landscape & the "human condition" - just fielding questions about my car from perspective buyers illuminated for me - what I don't know, & have very little interest in knowing. I value greatly those that have the knowledge and inclination. While I was getting the car up and running (after it sat 10 months) it died on the road just outside my apartment parking, after having just getting it jump started. The tow truck driver that arrived to get me mobile, was nothing short of an angel. He provided me with some valuable information and presented me with a variety of strategies (& their associated costs) as well as "off the record" info (things he would consider doing if it were his vehicle, but that he wouldn't advocate a customer do, as there was calculated risk and associated company liability) - now, he could have "recommended" the most expensive of options (and given I - or rather my vehicle, was blocking traffic I was potentially the proverbial putty in the hand. I wasn't born yesterday, however given I was in a bit of a bind at the moment and didn't really have time to employ any due diligence with what he was telling me - I had to go with the intuitive path, which I'm happy to report served me well.

Without question I have come to know that I have been "identified" with various ideas, belief systems, jobs and a wide variety of things outside myself that have nothing to do with who I am. This however, would not include my car. There has been cover stories and compensatory persona - but again, the car has never served me in those ways. Though I may have lacked clarity in some areas of my life - a car has never been anything more or less than a tool to me. I appreciate the aesthetics of some of the "classic" cars - though I don't care if I ever own one.

Right now I feel freedom! I attribute this to following what I feel inspired to do, live the experience and be open to where it leads. This is clearly and cleanly what I want right now. I won't keep a car to walk in stride with the "Jones" - I haven't rid myself of one due to guilt or retribution for global warming, climate change, green house gases etc. I am conscious of my connection to the planet - even still, I'm not sure that my abstention from driving has had any baring on the environment. What I can say is it appeals greatly to my sense of conscious simplicity. I'm not convinced that everyone needs to own...... well frankly, so much of what they do. I am intrigued by the idea of more cooperative ventures - sharing. In that vein there are "car share" options - there are also rentals for intermittent need.  Mind you the son of the auto salvage owner that gave me a ride home yesterday after I relinquished my vehicle looked at me like I had a third eye, when I gleefully waxed on about my car-free lifestyle experience/vision. Understandable - it is their livelihood.

Let's face it - I'm not exactly a visionary where this is concerned, yes I'm following my current guidance, but the Amish have been car less for ever.  Though a personal experience, one that I can spin as an example of exploring possibilities, embracing change and sometimes less is more, I don't foresee myself at the bridge of a horse drawn carriage. Of course though not something I gave much thought to - it would not have been that long ago, that I might have said a car is pretty much a necessity!




No comments:

Post a Comment