Saturday 14 February 2015

Don't Miss the Message While Mired in the Mullet

One of my favourite places to busk - which in my case is comprised of singing and playing guitar is in the outdoor courtyard of the downtown public library. I don't know if the architects designed it intentionally to have great acoustics, but it most certainly does. It also has the additional benefit of being covered so it allows for performance even on inclement days. Knowing it is a popular spot and first come first serve are the rules of engagement - I set out early yesterday to be the proverbial "early bird."

When I arrived I couldn't hear any music or singing so I thought my plan was unfolding successfully. When I rounded the corner I saw a man standing on the raised seat and platform feature that I generally play on. I don't particularly care about being up there specifically, but the security in the area asked the first time I sang there, to be sure to have my case and "stuff" where it wouldn't impede foot traffic walking through the courtyard. I'm happy to oblige such requests as I don't want to wear out my welcome, so upon the platform it is!

Anyway, the fellow isn't singing - however he is I discover, reading aloud from the bible. I decided to step quickly into the library and decide what to do when I returned outside. Sure enough he's still there, so if I still want to secure the spot - I guess I'm going to attend a bible reading? I thought he might let up for a moment so I could ask him how long he was planning on being, there was no such pause. I have to say, his reading skill was admirable - his elecution was smooth and expressive despite having chosen to forsake a more modern edition of the bible. Though I first considered whether sitting through this might well be a kin to "smiting" my head against a wall. My next thought was - "you know, this guy has got guts, it doesn't matter if I share his beliefs, there is no question regarding his conviction and he's not afraid to put in on the line! So I sat there, and listened - he made use of the whole circular platform moving around as he read, this would have been useful to reach people around the perimeter (if anyone else had been paying attention). When he came around my side he did look up and made eye contact as he read without missing a beat. I had no idea how much he planned to read - suffice to say it went on considerable longer than the "typical" readings I recalled. Then I thought - I do love to sing and I give my all whether anyone acknowledges or not, but I have to admit, it's nice when someone does. Who knows how often he does this - but I can imagine it's not always warmly embraced, so this morning I am his listening.

 He eventually got to a scripture that asked "let any among you that is without sin, then throw (it may have said casteth) the first stone" I don't think I'd ever heard anything leading up to or following that line before. Though I don't subscribe to the born in sin etc. theology - I could substitute "judgment" and ask myself "who was I to judge this fellow" I'll spare you "those stories" and complete this one instead. Here I was waiting to march myself right on up to where this fellow was doing his thing - intending to do mine. Why was what  I was offering of any more importance than this fellow's. Let's face it any "material" gain I receive is due in no small part, to the generosity of spirit of those that pass by. Surely then I can find and expand generosity in my heart and appreciate this fellow and what it might take for him to show up. Maybe this brings him as much joy, as singing does for me - he certainly seems at ease, not to mention - he didn't go fishing around for that reading, he was just reading page after page and along come that passage that had something to say to me. Coincidence? I think not!

Next thing you know - he's proclaiming "this has been a reading from the ....... bible." I'm not sure that announcement was required - I'm pretty sure anyone that was paying any attention, knew it was the bible and then, he walks off the platform. I hustled on up there to get my stuff set up and moments later looked in the direction that he had walked off and he was no where to be seen. I continued to set up and the whole thing took on a quality that is familiar to me - which is to say surreal, I say that of those sort of events that I encounter, often not in context with what has been going on and then it ends abruptly, leaving me wondering - "did that really just happen?"

In this case - it was "confirmed" just as I was about to start playing another fellow approached me and asked if I had seen the guy that had been here just before me? "He was....." and I said, "reading the bible" -  "ya that was him - we were supposed to meet now!"
I said "well he walked over that way," pointing toward some shopping carts full of belongings beside the library - "and then I lost sight of him."

It seemed to me the least I could do - moments earlier the cowboy boot clad, mullet coiffed, street evangelist delivered me a message I didn't even know I was looking to hear, who was I, not to now be there, to carry the message to the next guy that asked?

No comments:

Post a Comment