Wednesday 14 August 2013

Memories - To be or Not to be?

What was it Barbara Streisand said (or rather - sung) "memories, like the corner of my mind - misty water colour memories, of the way we were."

In case you hadn't guessed "memory" is on my mind. Recently I began a "new" fitness routine (well.. that might be overstating it somewhat, I intend, that it become "routine") - in doing so I'm reminded of muscles I haven't had cause to think about for sometime! I "remember" how not so very long ago I could get up and down from a chair without feeling every fiber of my hamstrings and "glutes."

Also within the grasp of memory is that sometime ago, I was in considerably better shape physically - this knowledge can help or hinder. Of course it can remind me I've done it before, therefore, I can do it again - or I could allow it to get me down, the fact that exercise I did with ease in the past, is at this time, challenging. Memory can also inform me, that though I at one time, achieved a high level of physical fitness - I wasn't particularly "buff" emotionally or spiritually. Now that the pendulum has swung the other way and I have spent far more time, studying, meditating (& writing) - I bare a striking resemblance to the "laughing buddha" on my deck. I am reminded therefore, of the need for balance. Fortunately I have a vast reserve of coaching and motivational knowledge (as well as the technical know-how) from my days as a personal fitness trainer. In those days there was no question I walked my talk - therein lies my answer (more walk - less talk!) I recall the idea of "muscle memory" that it is easier for the previously trained body to "recall" the necessary neural pathways etc. to resume the exercise. I do feel good to have initiated this - however I'm pretty sure my body was quite willing to forget! Even a long standing lifestyle of exercising regularly can gradually give way to less arduous pursuits, until the triathlon looks like - a run to the corner store (for chips) a couple flights of stairs to the "re" cycling (event) and a shower.

As pointed out earlier, memory can be a useful tool or become a self-limiting factor. I might not have the sharpness of memory of my youth when homework involving "memorization" of poetry or multiplication tables was a breeze, however my observation is that it is variable, depending on my motivation (interest and presence).

While I write this - sitting in my condo, an "Apple TV" internet radio station (commercial free non-stop classic rock) provides me with a backdrop of the music of my youth. I gotta say - its been on for a couple of hours (including the previous time while exercising) there was no bad music in the 70's! Without a doubt music is an effective bridge for memories (well..... unless of course, some of those memories involved activity that somewhat dulls some of the pertinent details, leaving recall a little hazy) - anyway not the scope of this piece.


Fact remains what amazing music! I will do my utmost to avoid statements such as ("they don't write 'em like that any more!) - oh what the hell, they don't! This couldn't possibly be anything like my parents or grandparents "singing" the virtues of the music of their generation (allow me to demonstrate: "Bye - Bye Blackbird" or "Bohemian Rhapsody" need I say more?) nor could it be entirely resistance to change (clinging to the familiarity of my past) rather than embracing the current array of musical artists - there's actually no comparison! (in fairness there are many gifted artist/poets/musicians currently - too many for me to even begin to keep track) o.k. there is something to be said for the familiarity factor! Of course I must point out that some of those lyrics convey ideas that are timeless (& continue to be relevant) - like "Imagine." Then again at this moment I'm hearing "Muskrat Love" - didn't get it then, I still don't get it!

Memory is though, a slippery deal - politicians are granted another term after a previous dismal performance. On the other hand the memory of lessons learned from history, keep us from repeating.... okay - bad example! I can't even claim that one hundred percent in my own life - though I see now, cause for great hope! I would have said at one time, that I have worked hard to heal from my past - it's at least equally true that I unknowingly worked pretty hard at holding on to it as well. This I must say, makes it difficult to create much of a different present or future. Everything get's coloured by "memories" of the past or, I'm so fearful that the past will repeat - I have effectively sabotaged the present opportunity.







I'm not advocating blindly ignoring the past - but there is no way to further my potential if I think I know everything there is to know about myself (that how it's been, is how it will always be) - this often can apply to others as well. There is to consider, whatever is necessary for one to take care of themselves and their needs, but also there is much to be said, for "holding space" for someone to show up differently (not putting your life on hold) but not assuming/presuming, they are the sum total of my limited beliefs about them. (more likely my own projections of myself)

I don't know about others but some of my "worst memories" have resulted in some of my greatest personal assets - to the point that they really can no longer be deemed "the worst." I don't wish to diminish the painful memories of anyone else. I do know that it is possible to find peace - it is of course up to each to determine how they will go about doing that.

In this the "age of information," endless "to do lists," passwords up the ying-yang and access to all of my financial assets, reliant on my remembering my PIN # can you blame a guy for seeking the comfortable embrace of a little REO Speedwagon from time to time?

No comments:

Post a Comment