Thursday 8 August 2013

Freedom - Not Just Another Word!

What can I say about freedom and what has prompted me to ponder this now? Perhaps it is my near approaching birthday (which will mark the beginning of my 54th year) which conjures the reminder that if I am to obtain the coveted "Freedom 55" (at least with regard to "Financial Freedom") the time near approaches! Therefore, I will need an accelerated high yield strategy - in fact it will need to bend space & time, and go contrary to accepted industry norms, in short, a miracle!  Scoff if you will - I am exercising my freedom, to set the intention of my choice (and it so happens that one aspect of "freedom" the way I understand it is, that sometimes, it might be "freedom" from convention that one seeks. In this regard I could "free" myself by not having the same expectations of a lavish lifestyle thereby freeing myself of the need to have the income to support said lifestyle. I could freely choose to adopt a "less is more" belief system - thereby "freeing" myself of the incessant need for more.

There is many a belief that are widely held as true - but my experience is that they don't necessarily hold up for me personally (maybe you as well?) It can't hurt to examine these things - where do they stem from? Who says they are true? Do I believe it's true for me? We all are "free" to decide despite the power of advertising, urban myth, family or cultural tradition. I'm also aware that it "costs" something to go against the grain. Still each is free to make the choice and I find it more empowering to recognize I'm am choosing - rather than maintain "I have no choice!" (yes I have a choice - I might just not be willing to face the consequences of choosing differently, regardless there will be some consequence).

It is not my intention to be dismissive or cast dispersion upon money, wealthy people, or the free will choice of others to have nice things (I appreciate quality). I would say though, that a huge bank account alone, can't guarantee freedom. Of course the next meal would not be in question, but there are those with incredible financial wealth,  even still they are not free of the concern for (the scarcity of) money and/or material wealth. There is an ongoing concern for making more, for the loss of present assets (who is out to get a hold of them) these people may continue to hoard their money and behave in a miserly manner despite enormous assets - not exactly free.

Others may have more modest savings etc. but are more generous about putting their money into circulation and service. To me one demonstrates an "inner freedom" by not being obsessed with "lack" behaving as though there is never enough, no matter how much they have. To be clear, I'm not saying that all wealthy people are miserly and those of the middle class or low-income earners are more generous. I'm simply making the distinction that freedom is not attained through financial wealth alone or lack there of.

There are other aspects of freedom worth considering. I just read a quote for example: "You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequence of your choice." My understanding of that is I'm given complete free will choice (even to do or believe in ways that are not in my best interest) that is the depth of unconditional love available through what I believe to be, a "loving universe." With the freedom of those choices comes consequences - not "punishment" mind you, consequences (cause followed by effect). Of course the "effect" can be uncomfortable (and may well seem as though one is being punished). I know I have on occasion (okay frequently) wondered to myself or said aloud "why is this happening to me?"- as though some capricious force outside myself is dishing out my cosmic comeuppance. This is both a perspective of victim thinking and denial of personal responsibility. A more useful question might be - "what is my part in this?" (attitude, belief, behaviour) - you can bet your bottom dollar I'm "involved" Trust me there has been a rather lengthy process arriving at this awareness in my life (accentuated by the ebb & flow of my resistance to what is).

As I mentioned earlier I am free to believe as I wish (which doesn't necessarily represent "the truth") but the truth of how the universe works can only be revealed to me in accordance with my willingness to be open to the truth (of course I could benefit now, from a more expanded awareness of the truth, however my free will cannot be violated to enlighten me. So I'm absolutely free to both orchestrate my openness and willingness or to stand in my own way. Some days I find this exhilarating others times, well let's just say, I experience some growing pains on my road to spiritual maturity.

Still each is free to choose how they experience life's "highs and lows" - even to the point of deciding for themselves, whether it is necessary to define them as "highs and lows." (I know this to be true for me anyway - I have significantly lessened the duration of "suffering"that I experience by deciding it will be so - not ignoring, repressing or denying)  same or similar circumstance in my external world, but a completely different inner world experience.

Another consideration that I have come to believe about freedom is that it exists inside the understanding, that we are not "separate" and are interdependent versus, "I'm free to do whatever I want." None of us operate within a vacuum, therefore - there really are no "isolated acts" the well-being of the whole, is the responsibility of each of it's parts (which doesn't necessarily mean there is "only one way of being") but it might lend more credence to such ideas as "I am my brother's keeper.")

Victor Frankl had these reflections regarding freedom:

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom."

 "Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of human freedoms - to choose ones attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose ones own way."

These powerful insights gained during three years spent in a Nazi concentration camp (under which the horrendous conditions were such, that a victim mentality might understandably be more readily adopted). If he can maintain such a perspective while under-going such duress - surely I can learn to more skillfully, respond to the challenges in my life. (of course I can, I will and I am) perhaps the growing capacity made possible by each and every event throughout my life. 

Which raises another consideration where "freedom" is concerned - it must coexist along side responsibility (ability to respond). I have operated from the misguided perspective that increased responsibility must result in decreased freedom. For sure it has been a path of continued learning for me to come to distinguish what I am truly responsible for and what belongs to someone else. But freedom without responsibility creates an imbalance as well. Again, there is the consideration of the bigger picture (of which we are all a unique part) as well as a responsibility to ones self to step up and "be all that you can be" which of course benefits the whole. In my life that has looked various ways - sometimes my choices reflect my fears, self-imposed limitations and wounds, other times as I allow healing and transformation in my life, the opportunity to discover latent talents, expand my awareness and realize more of my potential is made possible (that otherwise may have never come to light). I don't reveal that exclusively to blow my own horn (I am grateful my life has included this "Ugly Duckling" chapter) - I also happen to whole-heartedly believe that it is possible for anyone. 

I just saw a "YouTube" video in the last couple days, of a women in Australia that was paralysed from the waist down after a motor-vehicle accident, she went "surfing" by being duct-taped on the back of one of her son's friends - what an amazing demonstration of will, openness to possibility and "respond" ability (from both of them). Now I am not advocating the comparison of ones self to another, but when I see things like that, I realize I need to work on an ongoing "attitude adjustment." Each of us have our dreams - I know I have surrendered mine for less compelling reasons than paralysis (well of the physical variety) - only to see even that is not an acceptable "reason" for some, they go after their dreams regardless.

 So now I recognize I am responsible for the realization of my dreams (which of course means keeping them "alive") but I now begin to wonder if it goes beyond personal joy and contentment one experiences upon realizing a dream come true, perhaps there is more at stake in this regard. What if we are each being "dreamed" that the conundrum of "life purpose" could be solved by looking no further than my (or your) dreams? Maybe the world is literally waiting for our dreams to be realized - it is not just a "passing fancy" it might define for each, their "reason for being." Of course as described throughout - one would be free to "give up on their dream" or to believe that it "simply isn't possible." I don't wish to negate personal gratification - I actually believe enjoyment was part of the intended life experience. I'm just suggesting that if I abandon my dreams - ignore my gifts and talents, I'm not only choosing to cheat myself of the satisfaction of living in alignment with my "purpose" but I might just be choosing to say no to the contribution I was meant to make, which could impact far more than just me? 

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that it is likely less painful to fail in the pursuit of ones dreams than to not pursue them at all. As always freedom of choice prevails, but how long would one have to reckon with the knowledge that they chose to abandon their dream?

I am not beyond self interest - I eagerly and hopefully anticipate a world where more people embrace their dreams and bring them fully into being, I believe we all would benefit immensely!









No comments:

Post a Comment