Tuesday 30 July 2013

Unique Soul path - Might Just Usurp Common Sense?

Not that I would lay claim to my previous written suppositions having represented the "last word"on anything, but I suspect this one might reach new pinnacles of ambiguity. I don't fancy that I can lay claim to being "an authority" on much of anything - this can be attributed to a lifetime of what could be described as a renaissance mind with an attention span that shall we say, lacks an "iron grip!" So I suppose generously, I might be described as a "generalist."

To begin with I'm going to consider the oft referenced "common sense" - I can't begin to account for the number of times I've been "a fly on the wall" during the conversation between others (not because I'm eaves-dropping, but rather, I'm listening for a window of opportunity to contribute something) - when one or the other in reference to whatever they were talking about concludes: "it's just common sense!" Upon hearing this I think to myself - I didn't "know" that! If it's "common sense" why don't know too? Where am I when all this "common sense" is being dished out? (I recognize even as I write this - already, I set myself up to be the butt of many a joke - i.e. "where were you when the brains were being handed out....?" - blah..blah..blah! On occasion during these sort of conversations I have spoke right up..... "I didn't know that!"

"Where the hell you been? - living in a cave?"
"Ah...er..... well...... I don't know, or rather no, I do know, I wasn't in a cave ...... but, ah... forget it!"

Many the time I've heard.... "so much information in the world!" "Ya, can't possibly know it all!"
"Oh thank God!" I feel fleeting momentary relief - only to hear in the next breath ..... "but that, for God's sake, that's just "common sense."

"Oh for the love of.........!!!"
It occurs to me - what is so great about this "common sense?" The term seems to imply to me that it is fairly widely known (I don't know that one can necessarily presume it's true - though I suppose it's safe to say many are operating as though it's true) - how else does it become "common?" Being "common" I guess you don't have to go far to have these sentiments upheld (depending on skin density you can outright ask, the answer may well be delivered with varying degrees of grace).

But let's begin to make some distinctions here - the "common consensus" was once "the earth is flat." The "common" opinion of the British in Gandhi's time, was that India should remain under the rule of Britain.  In Nazi Germany a movement was being upheld that perpetuated atrocities for another whole group of people. When examined in this light - there may be "commonalities" but where's the "sense?" It does hold true for large segments of the population (or might not be true at all). So then "common sense" begins to look like some kind of "comfort for the masses." Something is at stake should one try and operate outside of this commonly held system of beliefs. Could be your life, or your dignity, emotional safety (there would seem to be no shortage of incentive to "go with the flow") It begins to look like there is more concern, not for whether it is true, just, or for the highest good of the majority, but that it can be justified by how many other people hold it to be true (or act as though it is).

Believe me I'm not speaking from any high ground or moral authority - I am newly aghast at the influences I allow to orchestrate my decisions (perhaps a new level of awakening) - which so often it seems to me, is touted as the "brass ring" - "we are here to become enlightened" etc. (I don't mean to disclaim or discredit that) but right at this particular place on my path ...... all I can say is: DAMN IT ALL TO ............!!!!!

Curtain rises and from the wings to center stage enters Ambiguity

Without question at times - I don't want (nor is it the best use of time/energy/resources) to "reinvent the wheel - so on such occasions perhaps I consult the "experience" of another (or others). So now then..... how do I know I'm not soliciting myself a snoot full of this "common sense" - "the earth is still flat" "panacea for the masses" when what I'm supposed to do is "blaze a trail."

Having posed that question - it is not abundantly clear to me (in all circumstances) that maybe.... just maybe..... I'm not always supposed to be this "maverick" cum "rebel without a cause" and just then, "see one - do one (maybe then teach one).

My self exploration has yielded me an awareness that I have oft times in my life "felt" compelled to be "right." (I'm pretty clear as well, that represented a once raging battle with low self worth that equated my "getting it wrong" with me myself being a mistake (flawed/broken) etc.

I may not entirely be out of those woods - but I can at least see the light now (it was once a very dark and foreboding landscape) now I would really like to just lessen the variety (and frequency) of results that I loosely define as "WRONG" (yes.... I know "there is no right or wrong...... it just is." I'm down with the personal responsibility and I know (or at least I strongly suspect) there is a vast new opportunity to deepen self-acceptance, self-forgiveness and self-love just around the corner. On the way....... I will unquestionably need to acknowledge, move through and release some anger.

So this "common sense" I'm beginning to suspect is "common" because many are thinking it, believing it, doing and being it (including me) whether it's in anyone's best interest or not.

As some of this subject matter has been percolating for awhile now - I was also reminded of the old fable - "The Emperor's New Clothes" (Hans Christian Andersen) I'm going to presume most have heard or read the story or are suitably resourceful to look it up online.

Anyway...... there are many circumstances in my life where I am sure that which is "paraded in front of me" is "butt - naked" and I say as much - "dude is naked" doesn't matter what you believe "he ain't wearing no new clothes." Thanks for sharing!

 Other times - I have taken a look and I say to myself (or myself says to me?) "yup butt naked" and then a harmonious cacophony rises from the primordial ooze in a seemingly angelic 4 part choral arrangement - "isn't that the funkiest, man knows, when and how, to pull the trigger, bad-ass clothing you ever laid your eyes on?"

And I'm like............ HUUUUUHHHHH?????
But.....what the.......? I was so sure....... uh...... that? (majority rules...... might makes right, could that many people be wrong) uh..... hmm, I must be mistaken??
"Oh ya those are some fine threads" (pardon the digression to my inner "Huggy Bear")

My point is how in God's name does this happen? Part of me knows damn well, that just because someone says something in a "confident" manner "with conviction" doesn't mean it's true (though I have to admit if I don't have what I deem to be "the right answer" (of course now it's getting that even thinking I know, I'm still left with, how long is what I think I know, going to hold up? - a new piece of information could blow it right out of the water! I may just go away thinking, "he/she said it with such gusto - could be right).

The worst part of this dynamic is, the wiring that on occasion has me doubting my own assessment of a circumstance (which I may begin to distinguish from the "still small voice") by the fact it is anything but still - more like "manic" - incessant and loud (pipes up with stuff like....... "oh this is going to be so good....... first such & such....... and then....... and then............ no don't worry......... if this....... then that ......... and then......... and then.......!"

When it all - "hits the fan......" the same voice does a 180 degree turn and begins the litany of "what the hell did you do that for?""That was a stupid.... dumb-ass thing to do!" "What were ya thinking?"
For God-sake it's 'common sense'..................... AHA!! just figured out where "common sense" comes from (I'll call it "collective ego") - probably summed up with the adage "misery loves company."

So this is where my journey is taking me - this "mechanism" must be dismantled! In the particular frame of mind I'm in right at this moment, I might be inclined to say it must be "smashed." However when a cooler head prevails I believe that it must be somehow - disassembled, so I can see it's assorted parts then accepted, harmonized and assimilated. I need the whole kit and caboodle working for me (it is after all "me")

Given I do still aspire to inspire others through my writing - it occurs to me this piece may seem at odds with those aspirations (given that it may well read like some sordid "reality t.v." episode).

I also recall at least once, I have stipulated that it is my intention to be as transparent and authentic as I can be. I can't know where my particular path will take me ..... perhaps one day I will write from the perspective of living moment to moment in my power, making clear, inspired decisive choices, that are on purpose and unwaveringly followed ........

Today however....... not so much!

Just the same if in sharing my walk here upon Mother earth .... I can let another brother or sister know "no, you are not alone - let me tell you a little story about yours truly!" It will be worthwhile!

It might just be that upon the road to excellence there is quite a number of "common" pot-holes it may appear as though "you" are the only one that hits any of them - I'm here to tell you, I've hit them all (some I went around the block and hit 'em again!) "Common sense" might dictate I don't share that with you - "don't ever let them see you sweat" - "Damn the Torpedoes" (What - evvvver!) You know what's common about that - it's a lie - that's the bottom line. I create at least some of these jackpots by not being honest...... I lie then I justify my lies, by pointing out & insisting everyone else is lying. Ironically often to "be accepted" (what kind of cockeyed logic would have me believe I can win acceptance by lying?) 

Just as an aside - what makes someone "more trustworthy" that they flat out admit "honestly" that they have told lies or would you feel better about someone that claims impeccable honesty though "evidence" points to the contrary?

I'm not saying this is the "preferred" route - I'm also not denying, there could be those, that navigate around more than they hit!
What I am saying is it might be of more value, to more people, to talk about what we really have in common, than collectively continue to uphold the "common sense" of the elephant/s in the room. I'm all for the preservation of the "real elephants" but these wispy, shadowy one's might best be allowed to become extinct?





No comments:

Post a Comment