Saturday 27 July 2013

Do You See What I See?

The blank page beckons this day as I ponder various passages of scripture. The first thing I should say with regard to this, is I'm not entirely sure right out of the gate, that the phrases I'm considering are truly scripture - in other words, I'm not sure I'm accurately using the term. I know them to come from the bible (though that in itself muddies the water further when one considers the multiple "versions" of that book).

I am not a card carrying member of any religion - I do consider myself to be on a spiritual path (one to me that is all encompassing of all aspects of my life) so even though at this moment I'm sitting on my butt in chair - I'm "walking my spiritual path." The scope of this blog is not to enter into debate with regard to the authenticity of the scriptures, passages, dharma etc. of any given path, with respect to who said what or if they said it. I have over time read various text from multiple sources and experience value in it all.

Whether it is the "writer" in me or just part of how I "see" I love the metaphor. I experience them everywhere - I sometimes speak using them, which frequently results in a puzzled look from the recipient or yields reflections that question my "intensity." (i.e. "lighten up") - do I think this makes me "special" - no, (perhaps unique) and I only say that, because I'm hard-pressed to find others that want to engage in or that "see" more deeply (I'm sure they exist - I appreciate the hesitancy to remain "underground" it's not a perspective that is widely embraced). So this intensity is for me "where the juice" exists - it's alive to me, as I seek truth in my life I recognize it seldom (if ever) exists upon the surface.

Back to the love of metaphors - this extends to parables, fables, koans (ok ..... in truth koans, make my head hurt) poetry, songs etc. This is the way I receive what is written in these holy books (not that I've ever read one cover to cover). Just the same my experience of some of these (at the time I experienced them) is that they are "alive" and meaningful, have impact and are directly applicable to some aspect of my life (not necessarily just as written - specifically at face value) as I consider them - they seemingly unravel to reveal a deeper meaning (one that I might add, may well present differently on another occasion). For me the power and value of such wisdom is potentially lost if the words themselves are held in a dogmatic manner or are thrown out entirely because they have become associated with the prejudice (earned or not) attributed to a particular group aligned with the word - therefore the word is worthless.

The main text utilized in "Alcoholics Anonymous" ("The Big Book") has a phrase which expresses this well: “There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance—that principle is contempt prior to investigation.”

I'm not endorsing nor am I opposing A.A. it just so happens this phrase conveys my point beautifully so why would I try and rewrite it? Another idea that conveys a similar idea is: "don't discount the message because you don't care for the messenger."

The first of the passages that prompted me to embark upon this topic is:

"Forgive them the know not what they do."

Attributed to Jesus (while dying on the cross) - I've already accounted for the possibility that variations in words exist, version to version.

Where I have gone with this idea this morning is an expansion from "them" to "me" (I would suggest this me, could be you too, you decide!) The thing is, as I go through my life I come to realize often through that beautiful crystal clear 20/20 hindsight that I have been "unknowingly" but nonetheless acting, believing and behaving in ways that are not in anyone's best interest. It's amazing to me when the veil of denial rises, that it is so clear and yet for so long I was too involved being it, to be able to see it.

This is not a sophisticated alibi ...... bare with me! The fact is though I can only see how I was through the expanded consciousness of who I'm now becoming. I am still responsible for who I was and what I did at that time - but if you're at all like me, when I come to realize what I didn't see before about myself (I have been brutally critical and denied myself any form of understanding, self-empathy, love or compassion). I've come to realize this for me is not the path to healing..... the recognition is necessary - the continued punishment of self is not. Think about it - if I come to discover a particular way of being and further to that, realize it has not been serving me, chances are that lack of service has created some form of suffering already........ how can it possibly benefit me to realize I have created suffering for myself (and others) and then proceed to create more suffering for myself because I created suffering for myself?

Therefore I offer: "forgive "me" for at times I know not what I do." (not a license to keep on doing it, I am talking about a continued commitment to continue to grow and evolve in alignment with the highest good for all). The highest good includes love and understanding for myself (yourself) - I've not met many people that get up in the morning with the intent to create suffering - it seems to me vitally important that framework extend to one's self. Each of us can ease the "suffering of the world" by being more mindful with regard to the suffering we first create for ourselves (and in my case extend it to others) - maybe you can relate?

"Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us."

Again I suggest that remaining upon the surface I could cling to the myriad of ways in which someone "trespassed" against me. If I left it there, I would miss the lesson for myself - digging deeper, I recognize that I frequently have "trespassed against myself" in the form of remaining silent rather than speaking my truth, abandoning myself (my needs, my values, my intuition). By and large no one but me knows this is true (well... until now) who pray tell..... do I spend the most time with? Therefore from whom do I need forgiveness more than anyone else? A misguided choice cannot possibly be made better by self-flagellation. Wouldn't it be preferable to observe - "wow not the outcome I was hoping for - frankly it sucked" however it likely could have been much worse - I am grateful for the new awareness." For those of you that think this a departure to "pollyannaism" - all I can say is, that I have used self-defeating beliefs and subsequent self admonishment for a very long time (it doesn't work) there is no way to feeling better or rising up, through shame - whether you direct at someone else or yourself. Therefore I begin the collection of 21st century wisdom from the Gospel of Rob  (directed at me and anyone that relates) "STOP IT!"

Finally I include three "scriptures" that found me (I don't currently even have a bible in my home - they come, they go) it seems if I ever do try and "read one" I get lost in the "thees & thous" the meaning of  "beautitudes" forsakes me, and I feel like I've been "smited" in the head with the book. However on this occasion as I said these three passages "found me" - I can't even recall what I was first reading that led to their inclusion (that is how this works for me, I often get what I need, when I need it - but of course I would need to be open to the "source" in order to get it - otherwise might just hit "delete."


Proverbs 13:11
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle, but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 28:19-20 Whoever works his land will have plenty of bread, but he who follows worthless pursuits will have plenty of poverty. A faithful man will abound with blessings, but whoever hastens to be rich will not go unpunished.
Proverbs 22:16 Whoever oppresses the poor to increase his own wealth, or gives to the rich, will only come to poverty.
First I repeat I didn't go looking for these passages (didn't even know they existed). Secondly, they are timely and meaningful to me.
Again there is much more said here to me (than meets the eye) it could be all interpreted exclusively on the material plane - where I'm sure that ideas such as "slow and steady wins the race" - "all that glitters is not gold" apply equally well to what is being conveyed here.
But I see the "poverty" as being far more than a financial statement - there is a poverty of heart and soul that is more vast than any earthly desert" (chances are this poverty will result in material poverty as well). However to follow "worthless pursuits" doesn't mean that it might not ultimately yield vast fortunes of material "wealth" but it could still leave one "spiritually impoverished."
"Will not go unpunished" to me, has nothing to do with a "wrathful God" it is simply a natural consequence of "cause and effect" a law of the universe (which come to think of it reflects another "scripture" "You reap what you sow."
This is not in any way meant to vilify money or wealth or "wealthy people" but rather to distinguish or expand upon ideas like "wealth" 'prosperity" "abundance" to include spiritual considerations and impact thereof. 
Lack of self confidence, lack of a path - which is congruent with heart and soul, that results in benefit and the highest good for all, I believe will create a poverty that cannot be resolved by any amount of financial gain. 
It is well known there is a "cost to doing business" however most ledger sheets don't have a column that reflects heart and soul, perhaps the most valuable of assets?






No comments:

Post a Comment